Search in BMC Digital Workplace
As the BMC Digital Workplace administrator, you must understand how search works to assist your business users.
End users can use the search feature from the following areas of the BMC Digital Workplace end user console:
The Global search panel is available on the following pages:
- Catalog page
- My Activity page
(Optional) Custom page—The Global search component can be added to a custom page.
The Global search panel looks like this:
End users can search for the following records:
|Types of records||Records|
BMC Digital Workplace records
Search in the Active and Past events sections
The following table describes filtering options for Active and Past events:
|Event type||Filtering option||View type|
|By text||By type/status||By date||List||Card|
Search from the Social section
You can search for the following records in the Social section on the user preferences page:
- User groups
The following image shows the Social section on the user preferences page:
How search results are displayed
Search results are displayed to end users according to the following principles:
End users see search results on tabs shown in the following image. The Top Hits tab displays the result highlights. To see the results pertaining to the particular category, end users can click on each tab.
You can limit the number of results per tab and also disable the parallel search of requests and approvals. See Configuring search results.
In summary sections, end users can see the top three results for a category. To see all results in the category, an end user can click See more. The following screenshot shows the summary section for the Users category:
A BMC Digital Workplace administrator can configure the list of tabs by enabling or disabling corresponding features. The BMC Digital Workplace administrator can disable the Approvals, Appointments, Locations, Assets, and Users tabs. The BMC Digital Workplace administrator cannot disable the Top Hits, Catalog items, Articles, Requests tabs. To configure end user features in the BMC Digital Workplace Admin console, see Enabling end user features.
To disable the Assets tab, the BMC Digital Workplace administrator must disable the Locations feature in the BMC Digital Workplace Admin console.
- Search results are sorted based on their relevance to the search query—from the most relevant on top, down to the least relevant. Results that have the same relevance are sorted alphabetically.
- If no search results are found, the application displays "No results found," and the filter menu is hidden.
- For SRDs from Remedy Service Request Management, search results are displayed in the following order:
- SRDs that are marked as popular by the administrator in Remedy Service Request Management are displayed at the top.
- SRDs that are requested more times than other SRDs are displayed after the popular SRDs.
- All SRDs that follow are displayed alphabetically by the SRD title.
How search works with the computer screen reader program
Visually impaired end users might find it easier to search for services in the Global search panel than to browse the catalog. They can use Tab and arrow keys to navigate the screen, and press Enter to make selections.