Embedding sub-process workflows
A subprocess workflow is a complete process that is embedded into a larger process. A Sub Process element contains a subprocess workflow, to enable you to collapse the process steps and treat them as a single element.
The following illustration shows an example of embedded sub-process workflow.
Before you begin
Start to create the workflow, as described in Designing a simple workflow.
To create a sub-process workflow
- Drag the Sub Process element onto the canvas.
- Double-click the Sub Process element to open it. Drag to expand the element further if you need more room.
The Start and End elements are already provided.
- Drag elements to design the subprocess.
- Double-click to collapse the subprocess, so you can move the subprocess as a single activity.
When a Sub Process element is moved anywhere on the canvas, the subprocess it contains moves with it, even if the element is open.
- Draw sequence flows from other elements to add one input to and one output from the Sub Process element.
- (Optional) Map input parameters to the subprocess if any of the elements it contains require inputs.
Where to go from here
Complete remaining aspects of the workflow, as described in Workflows for service fulfillment.