Adding process input variables to a workflow
Process input variables are fields contained in a workflow that are mapped to the input parameters of one or more workflow activities.
Process input variables appear in the Questions Designer as process questions. The most common use for process input variables is to pass values from the service request to workflow activities. When an end user requests the service, the information the user enters into the questionnaire is sent to the workflow, and in turn, the activity inputs which were mapped.
Before you begin
To create a process input variable
To pass process input information to your workflow, you must add a process variable of any type, except Service Broker Context. You can add one or more process input variables in your workflow.
- Open the workflow designer, and select the canvas to modify settings of a process.
- Click Add/Remove Variables.
Click Add Variable, and enter the following values:
objName process variable that represents the question data type.
It must be unique from other variables in the same workflow.
Select Input/Output Parameter.
Define how your parameter will be used in an activity which is applied to one or more workflows.
To use the variable in the current workflow, enable any of the following options:
- Input - data input is not mandatory to perform an action
- Input Required - data input is required to perform an action
To use the variable in one or more external workflows (which will be calling the current workflow), enable the following option:
- Output - data output from an activity is captured, and can be used in external workflows.
Select one of the following data types:
- Boolean—is a data type with only two possible values: true or false
- Date—is the data type in the yyyy-MM-dd format
- Date/Time—is the data type in the yyyy-MM-dd hh:mm AM/PM forma
- Time—is the data type in the hh:mm AM/PM format
- Decimal—integer numerical with a decimal point
- Floating—integer with a floating point
- Integer—Integer numerical (with no decimal)
- Text—text string
- Selection—selection list value. for this data type, you must additionally create options list.
You can assign only the variable data type that the external system expects. For example, if a connector action expects an integer, then you must create a variable of data type: Integer.
Default value (Optional) Specify the default value for a process variable. Description (Optional) Enter the description for the process input variable. It can be useful if you have a complex workflow with many input variables.
- The following illustration shows Add Variable window.
- Save the process input variable.
The saved process input variable appears in the list of variables.
For examples of creating process input variables, see Designing a simple workflow.