Configuring a resize disk option choice
For VMware virtual machines (VMs), you can provide end users with the ability to resize the local or system disks that are associated with existing VMs. BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management administrators can associate the out-of-the-box resize disk options so that the cloud end users can modify the disk size after a system is provisioned.
This topic contains the following sections:
The following video (4:35) explains how to create an option to extend a disk through BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management.
To set up options choices for the resize disk options
The following steps describe how to set up end user option choices for resizing a disk for a provisioned VMware VM, using the BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management Administrator console.
You can define only one resize disk option for each service request definition.
- On the Service Catalog page, click Options Editor .
- Create a new option with an appropriate name. In this example, the option is called Resize Disk. Select only the Post-Deploy type.
- In the Option Choices area, click New Option Choice .
- In the New Option Choice window, enter a name (for example, 20 GB) and description for the option choice.
- (Optional) Set the Customer Price or Deployment Cost.
- Click OK. The new option choice is listed.
- From the list on the right side of the Options Editor, select the new option choice.
- On the toolbar on the right side of the Options Editor under Option Choices for, click Option Choice Blueprint Configuration Editor .
The Option Choice Blueprint Configuration Editor is displayed.
- Click New Blueprint Configuration . The Blueprint Configuration menu is displayed in the Option Choice Blueprint Configuration Editor window.
- Select Blueprint Configuration > Resize System Disk.
The New Blueprint Configuration window is displayed.
- Specify the Disk Size and click OK.
- Click OK to close the Option Choice Blueprint Configuration Editor.
- Click OK to close the Options Editor.
For more information about options and option choices see, Service Catalog options and option choices.
To associate the Resize Disk options with a service offering
To enable the resize disk options to be presented to end users, you must associate them with a service offering.
- From the BMC Cloud Lifecycle Management Administration Console, click the vertical Workspaces menu on the left side of the window and select Service Catalog.
- In the Service Catalog workspace, select the service that you want to associate with the resize disk option.
- Click Edit . The Edit Service window is displayed.
- In the Edit Service window, click the icon and select Create post-deploy action.
- In the Request Definition window, enter appropriate values for the post-deploy action and click Next.
- Select the navigational category, add request definition packages, and click Finish.
- Click Apply.
The post-deploy action is added.
- Select the new post-deploy action and click the Options tab.
- From the list under Available Options, select the option that was added for resizing a disk.
- Click Add. The resize disk option that you selected appears in the list under Selected Options, and the associated option choices appear in the table at the bottom of the window.
- Click Apply and then click Save.
- To test these steps:
- Open the My Cloud Service Console.
- Provision a VM.
- Open the Configuration page for the VM that has the disk you want to resize.
- In the Hardware section, use the slider to increase the size of a disk, as shown in the following figure: