Communicating case updates
As a case agent, when you work on a case, you can share information related to the case. You can communicate the case updates with other agents or employees in various ways. You can also share or receive case related information that can help resolve the case, or provide reference information that helps you proceed with the case. Case information that is shared or received is associated to the case, and is available in the case record.
Communication through notes
Agents who have write access to a case, can post comments or add attachments in the case activity feed. When an approver accepts or rejects a case, after the approval process is complete, you can see the case approval status message in the case activity feed. The case activity feed also displays the messages for activities like emails sent and so on.
Activity feed notes provide you and other case agents (with write access) a way to post and view relevant case information and take necessary actions, if required.
You create the Need spot bonus for an employee case. You assign it to yourself and your support group, the HR support group.
You become unavailable for a few days and cannot work on the case this time period. The following events occur:
- You reassign the case to another case agent in the HR support group.
- You add a note in the case activity feed stating the reason behind reassigning the case.
- The new case assignee views the note and starts working on the case.
For more information, see Adding a note in a case activity feed.
Communication through comments
A requester submits a request in BMC Helix Digital Workplace Advanced and a corresponding case is created in BMC Helix Business Workflows. If the requester adds a comment to the service request, the comment is visible to you in the activity feed of the corresponding case. If you add a comment to the case, the comment is visible to the requester in the service request.
By leaving comments, you and the requester can easily share the required information and view the latest information in the case.
A requester submits a request Need information about reimbursement policy and a corresponding case is created. While working on the case, you need the employee ID of the requester. The following events occur:
- You add a comment to the case activity feed asking for the employee ID.
- The comment is displayed in the service request and the requester responds with the required information.
- You can view the employee ID in the case and proceed with the case.
For more information, see Sharing updates to and from a case and service request.
Communication through emails
When an employee or a user outside of an organization sends an email to request a service, a case is created automatically in BMC Helix Business Workflows, and an acknowledgment email is sent to the employee or user.
The following table describes how a case indicates for whom it is created:
An employee registered in the BMC Helix Platform Foundation library sends an email,
the case details page displays the following details:
A user outside of an organization sends an email,
the case details page displays the following details:
The content of subsequent email communications between you and an external user or employee is captured in the case activity feed. In addition to the requester or external user, you can send emails to other agents of your company.
Using email to communicate case updates provides the following benefits:
- You can work with users outside of your company on their issues.
- Users have a record of case updates in their email. Because the emails you send from a case contain the case ID, users can easily relate an email with a case.
- Because the email communication is displayed in the activity feed of a case, you can find old emails related to the case.
A manager sends an email to request an employee spot bonus and a corresponding case is created automatically. You need to get an approval from the HR manager and the following events occur:
- From the case, you send an email to the HR manager asking for the approval.
- The HR manager sends an email to approve the case.
- After receiving the approval and completing other required formalities, you close the case.
For more information, see Using emails to share case updates.
To communicate the updates of a case
- Log in to BMC Helix Business Workflows.
- Navigate to Workspace > Cases.
- To open a case on the Cases workspace, click the required case ID.
On the case details page, perform any of the following steps:
Action Steps Result
View and update a case activity
Click the Activity tab and perform any of the following steps:
- Filter displayed actions—To filter the actions based on the type of comments or activities, click and select the required options.
- Add notes—To add a note, enter it in the text box and click Post.
By default, the note that you add is marked private . Click the Public checkbox to mark your note as public.
Click to attach files in your notes.
The Activity tab in a case lists different actions that are performed on it like status change, comments, feedback, and so on. When you add a note, a notification is sent to the assignee of the case.
BMC Helix Digital Workplace Advanced Request information from an employee who submitted a service request in
- Click the Activity tab.
- To request the information, in the text box, add a comment.
The comment is displayed in the service request and the employee responds with the required information in the case activity feed.
Send an email from a case
To open the Compose Email dialog box, click Email.
You can also click the email ID of the requester, external user, or contact to open the dialog box.
- (Optional) If you want to use an email template, perform the following steps:
- Click Select Email Template.
- (Optional) From the Locale list, select the language for the email template.
- From the list displayed, select the required email template, and click Apply.
- Compose your email and click Send.
- You can override the previous email template by selecting a new email template.
- You can only use email templates that have been configured by a case business analyst.
For more information about templates, see Creating email and acknowledgement templates.
When an employee raises a service request from BMC Helix Digital Workplace Advanced, a case is created in BMC Helix Business Workflows. If you send an email to the requester from the case, the email is displayed in the case activity feed as a public note. Also, the employee can view the email content from BMC Helix Digital Workplace Advanced.
If you send an email to an external user's email ID, the email content is displayed in the case activity feed as a public note.
- If you use an email template to send predefined responses for a case, the email template name with the email content is displayed in the case activity feed.
- When you send an email to other agents, the email is added to the case activity feed as a private note.
- You can add documents from the document library or attach files from a local drive in an email template and send the attachments through emails composed by using this template.
For more information about email, see Case management through email.