Automatic case assignment
As a case business analyst, you can enable automatic case assignment in BMC Helix Business Workflows.
Automatic case assignments can be defined by using:
- cases already assigned to a support group by using case templates or assignment—mapping rules.It can be enabled either at a template level or a global level.
Case template—based assignment
The case template defines the assignment that is applied to all cases created by using that template. Case template assignments take precedence over automatic assignments based on case assignment—mapping.
You can define the case assignments in a case template by:
- Adding the support group and the agent to whom you want to assign the case.
- Adding a support group and enabling round-robin assignment for individual assignment of the case. Round-robin assignment enables cases to be equally distributed among the agents belonging to the support group specified in the template.
If you do not define any assignments in the case template, case information—based assignment is applied to the case.
For information about how to configure assignments in a case template, see Creating case templates and task templates.
How case—template based assignment works
The following table explains how cases are assigned depending on how you define assignments in a case template
|Support Group defined||Assignee defined|
|/||Case is assigned to the assignee defined in the case template|
|Case is assigned in a round-robin manner to an agent available from the support group assigned to the case.|
|Agent creating the case must manually assign the case to an agent|
|/||Case is assigned based on the default assignment mapping rules.|
Case information—based assignment
For cases created without using a case template, or when case assignment is not defined in the case template, you can configure case assignment mapping to assign cases based on the case information.
You can define case assignment mapping based on the following fields:
- Case category tiers
Manual case assignment or the assignment defined in the case template takes precedence over automatic case assignment mapping.
If you define assignment mapping rules based on region and site, cases are automatically assigned to regional support groups based on the case site and region information.
A case business analyst has enabled location—based case assignment for ABC company. A Pune-based employee of that company travels to Mumbai office for work and creates a case "Access card not working". The case is automatically assigned to the Mumbai site Facilities group for quick resolution.
Learn about Configuring automatic case assignments.
How case information—based assignment works
The following table explains how cases are assigned depending on how you define case information—based assignments.
|Support Group defined||Assignee defined||Round-robin enabled |
(at global level)
|/||Case is assigned to the assignee defined by the case mapping.|
|Case is assigned in a round-robin manner to an agent available from the support group assigned the case.|
|The agent working on the case must manually assign the case to an agent.|
|/||The agent working on the case must manually assign the case to an agent.|
You can enable individual-level case assignment by using the round-robin method. The round-robin method automatically assigns cases that are assigned to a support group to agents of that support group. It ensures that cases are equally distributed among the case agents of the support group.
You can define round-robin at the following levels:
- Template-level—You can enable the round-robin method at a template level while creating a new case template or updating an existing case template. Round-robin assignment is applied when the case template only defines a support group assignment. The case created by using the template is assigned to an agent belonging to the support group that the case is assigned to.
- Global-level—Round-robin is enabled at a global level for cases that are created without using a case template and assigned to a support group based on the assignment mapping defined in the system. For assignment mapping details, see Case information–based assignment.
How automatic case assignment is applied when a case is created
The following table describes how automatic case assignment is applied when a case is created:
|How the case is created||Description|
|By using a template that defines both support group assignment and assignee|
The case is assigned to the assignee defined in the case template.
|By using a template that only defines support group assignment|
The case is assigned to the support group defined in the case template.
|By using a template that does not define any assignment|
Case is assigned to the support group or assignee based on the assignment mappings.
Without using a template
Case is assigned to the support group or assignee based on the assignment mapping.