Performing pre-upgrade checks and configuration checks
The pre-upgrade and configuration checks are invoked automatically by the following product installers:
- BMC Remedy Action Request (AR) System
- BMC Atrium Core
- BMC Remedy ITSM
- BMC Remedy ITSM Process Designer
- BMC Service Level Management
- BMC Service Request Management
- Unified Data Management
- BMC Remedy Smart Reporting
- BMC Atrium Integrator
The installers use the following information to invoke the checks:
- The product being deployed
- The installer mode: install or upgrade
- Whether or not the system is a primary server or a non-administrative secondary server
Overview of the BMC Remedy Configuration Check utility
The output of the BMC Remedy Configuration Check utility is a consolidated report that contains the following details:
| Summary||Name of the check|
|Components on which the checks are performed.|
Type of check (pre-upgrade or configuration check)
|Status of the check|
|Details||Message (Error, Warning, Info)|
Hints for the checks that failed
|Additional information such as actual value and expected value on the checks that failed|
You can view the configuration check report directly from the installer, from the Configuration Check utility interface, from the command line interface, or by opening the HTML report file (\result\configchecheckerOutput.html) in a browser.
Diagnosing and resolving the configuration check results
The following topics list the pre-upgrade and configuration checks, their expected results, and the corrective actions:
- BMC Atrium Core checks
- BMC Remedy AR System checks
- BMC Remedy ITSM checks
- BMC Remedy ITSM Process Designer checks
- BMC Service Level Management checks
- BMC Service Request Management checks
- Unified Data Management (UDM) checks
- Remedy Smart Reporting checks
- BMC Atrium Integrator checks
Manually running pre-upgrade checks and configuration checks
The following table lists the tasks for running the BMC Remedy Configuration Check utility outside of the installer to perform pre-upgrade and configuration checks.
For platform components, you must run the checks before installing BMC Remedy AR System and after installing BMC Atrium Core.
Obtain the BMC Remedy Configuration Check utility
The configcheckerversionNumber_buildNumber.zip file is bundled with the BMC Remedy AR System installer. Run the utility after extracting the contents of the file. For information about how to obtain the files that you need for installation, see Downloading the installation files.
In 9.1.02, the BMC Remedy Configuration utility is installed as part of BMC Remedy AR System server at <InstallDirectory>\ARSystem\configchecker.
Ensure that the value of JAVA_HOME is set correctly. If you do not set the JAVA_HOME correctly, you may not be able to run the BMC Remedy Configuration Check utility outside of the installer to perform pre-upgrade and configuration checks.
Use Java 8 update 45 or later.
(Optional) Set the configuration check preferences
Before you run the BMC Remedy Configuration Check utility, you can optionally set the following preferences in Interactive command line mode:
|3.||Run the Configuration Check utility|
You can run the BMC Remedy Configuration Check utility in one of the following modes:
|4.||View the log files|
When you run the BMC Remedy Configuration Check utility, a log file is generated and placed in ./configchecker/Logs. Logs can be generated at the Info (default) or Debug level.
For more information, see Viewing configuration check log files and changing logging level.
|5.||View the configuration check reports|
After you run the BMC Remedy Configuration Check utility, it generates a consolidated HTML report from the configuration check result file (configcheckResult.xml). The utility generates a single report for all the components in the BMC Remedy ITSM suite environment that were selected for performing the check.
For more information about locating and understanding the configuration check report, see Viewing configuration check reports.
Configuration checks on a single server and in a server group environment
How you run the BMC Remedy Configuration Check utility depends on your environment:
Single Server environment — If your environment uses a single BMC Remedy AR System server, run the BMC Remedy Configuration Check utility directly on the AR System server that you use for your data load jobs. Do not run the BMC Remedy Configuration Check utility remotely.
Server Group environment — For this type of environment, run the BMC Remedy Configuration Check utility from the server on which escalations are enabled.
- If you configured a designated carte server, you need to address only the error or warning messages that the BMC Remedy Configuration Check utility issues for the Carte server. You can safely ignore the messages issued for the other AR System servers in the group. For more information, see
- If you configured a default Carte server and are running load balancing in your environment, you must also pay attention to any error or warning messages related to the Pentaho plug-in that the BMC Remedy Configuration Check utility issues for all of the AR System servers in the group.
In a server group environment, while upgrading the AR System servers, ensure that you run the BMC Remedy Configuration Check utility before you upgrade any server in the server group.