Installing BMC Remedy Mid Tier
- To reduce installation time significantly, do not install the products over a WAN.
- To avoid configuration problems, accept the default values displayed in the installer unless you have a valid reason to modify them.
- For best results, install BMC Remedy Mid Tier on a separate computer from the BMC Remedy AR System server.
When installing BMC Remedy Mid Tier:
- Unix non-root mode: You must have write access to /etc, /opt/bmc folder, and the install location.
- Windows non-admin mode: You must have write access to the install location, and %windir% directory.
Before you begin
- Install Apache Tomcat on your computer. For download instructions, see https://tomcat.apache.org/download-80.cgi in the Apache Tomcat documentation. Remedy ITSM Suite supports Apache Tomcat version 7.0.53 and later. For the complete list of the supported software, see
If the arsys.xml file does not exist, create it in the Tomcat<ver>\conf\Catalina\localhost location and point to your Mid Tier location. Refer to the following sample code to create the file:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <!-- Context configuration file for the Tomcat Manager Web App $Id: manager.xml 303123 2004-08-26 17:03:35Z remm $ --> <!-- http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/context.html --> <Context deployOnStartup="true" docBase="<MidTier WAR File Path>" path="/arsys" reloadable="false" sessionCookiePathUsesTrailingSlash="false"> <!-- reloadable will disable session persistence across shutdown/startup and sessionCookiePathUsesTrailingSlash is set to prevent creating of a duplicate JSESSIONID in Tomcat 7 because of enabling HTTPOnly cookie for JSessionID --> <Manager pathname=""/> </Context>
To install BMC Remedy Mid Tier
- Download the BMC Remedy AR System installer on a computer other than where you installed the AR System server.
- Unzip the suite installer (for example, ARSuiteKitWindows.zip or ARSuiteKitLinux.zip).
- Open the Disk 1 folder.
- Start the installer:
- For Windows, run setup.exe.
- For UNIX, run setup.bin.
- In the lower-right corner of the Welcome panel, click Next.
- Review the license agreement, click I agree to the terms of license agreement, and then click Next.
- On the Products selection panel, perform the following actions:
- Select Install.
- Select AR System mid tier and clear the other options.
The installer validates the system resources of your computer and displays a list of available features.
- Navigate to the directory in which you want to install BMC Remedy Mid Tier.
The default locations are C:\Program Files\BMC Software\ARSystem (Windows) and /opt/bmc/ARSystem (UNIX and Linux).
On the Tomcat Deployment Directory Information panel, navigate to the folder where you have installed Apache Tomcat. For a Windows machine, wait for the Tomcat Service Name to get populated automatically, and click Next.
If the Tomcat Service Name is not automatically detected, ensure that the Tomcat service is created and running. Tomcat must be registered as a service for the installer to detect it.
For more information about installing the Tomcat services, see in the Apache Tomcat documentation.
- Enter the values from the installation spreadsheet for the mid tier.
After you have entered the required information, the installer validates your inputs. The Installation Preview panel then appears, listing the product and features that will be installed.
- Click Next.
After post-installation cleanup, a summary of the installation appears.
- Click View Log to review any error messages or warnings in the product installer log.
See whether errors are due to network, host, or other environment-related issues. You can view a log file of the installation:
For Windows, C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\arsystem_install_log.txt
For UNIX, /tmp/arsystem_install_log.txt
- Click Done to exit the AR System installer.
- Open the BMC Remedy Mid Tier Configuration Tool ( http://<midTierServer>:<PortNumber>/arsys/shared/config/config.jsp ).
You will need Remedy administrator permissions to access the Mid Tier Configuration Tool.
- Click General Settings.
- Select the AR System server as the authentication server, and then click Save Changes.
To access the Remedy Mid Tier, go to http://<midTierServer>:<PortNumber>/arsys/
To install Remedy Mid Tier in silent mode
You can install BMC Remedy Mid Tier in silent mode by using the ARSystem-ini-template.txt file. The ARSystem-ini-template.txt file contains all the options that you can use for silent installation. You can find the ARSystem-ini-template.txt file in the <InstallerDirectory>\Disk1\utility folder.
Add the following option in the ARSystem-ini-template.txt file:
Run the installer with the
- i silentoption. For more information on silent installation, see Running the installer in silent mode.