Supported languages and character encodings
The following topics are provided:
Supported localized versions
BMC Remedy ITSM Suite supports the following localized versions:
United States of America
BMC Remedy ITSM is built on BMC Remedy AR System, which is a fully internationalized environment. This environment includes internal support for different character sets and a full suite of features that enable administrators to produce localized applications.
Supported character encodings
- Western Europe — Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Icelandic, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, and Swedish (Windows-1252)
- Central Europe — Albanian, Croatian, Czech, Hungarian, Polish, Romanian, Serbian, Slovak, and Slovenian (Windows-1250)
- Cyrillic — Eastern European (Russian, Ukrainian, Belarusian, Bulgarian, Serbian, and Macedonian), Mongolian, and some Central Asian (Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Tatar, Uzbek [HTMLUATarsPlanAndInstallFinal2:Windows-1251])
- Baltic — Estonian, Latvian, and Lithuanian (Windows-1257)
- Traditional Chinese (Big5)
- Simplified Chinese (GB2312)
- Japanese (Shift-JIS and EUC-JP)
- Korean (EUC-KR)
- Thai (Windows-874) — Windows only
- Unicode (UTF-8)
- Unicode (UTF-16)
Unicode is a superset of the other character sets supported by BMC Remedy AR System.
- On Japanese operating systems, BMC Remedy AR System supports JIS X 0201-1976 and JIS X 0208-1978 Shift-JIS character sets. However, because of a non-BMC Remedy limitation, some Japanese characters are not supported in browsers. (See http://www.w3.org/TR/japanese-xml/#ambiguity_of_yen for conversion issues from Shift-JIS to Unicode.)
- For Kanji, JIS Level 1 and Level 2 are supported.
- Gaiji (extended characters) is not supported. However, if Gaiji is used, data can be displayed incorrectly or be corrupted.
- On Japanese UNIX servers, BMC Remedy AR System supports only the EUC character set.
Non-Unicode AR System servers
A non-Unicode AR System server supports mixed-language environments if both of the following conditions are true:
- The languages belong to the same character set.
- The AR System server is running on a localized operating system with a localized version of the database.
Otherwise, characters might not be handled and displayed correctly.
For example, the following combinations are supported because the languages belong to the same language group:
- Czech and Polish clients on a server set to Hungarian
- French, German, and English clients on a server set to German
Although languages from the same language group can be mixed, for some advanced locale-specific operations involving sorting date and time format, the language version of the server operating system and database must match that of the client to ensure optimal performance.
Unicode AR System servers
Because the Unicode character set is a superset of all the other character sets that BMC Remedy AR System supports, a Unicode AR System server supports combining languages from different language groups. For example,
- Spanish and Japanese
- Estonian and Croatian
- French and Polish
- Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese