Installing BMC Atrium Core Web Services components on an external tomcat
In a Proof of Concept (PoC) environment, you can use bundled Apache Tomcat to deploy BMC Atrium Core Web Services. However, in a production environment, to overcome security vulnerabilities, if any, when using a bundled Tomcat, you must use an external Tomcat to deploy BMC Atrium Core Web Services.
Before you begin
- Install Apache Tomcat on your machine as a service (WINDOWS) or as a non-service (UNIX). For instructions, see . For Tomcat version, see
- After installing Tomcat, in the Tomcat Properties window, under the Java tab, set the Initial memory pool and Maximum memory pool parameters to 512 MB and 1024 MB respectively. Refer the following snapshot to see how to set the memory values:
To install BMC Atrium Core Web Services components on an external tomcat
- Download the BMC Atrium Core installer on a computer other than where you have installed the AR System server.
- Unzip the installer.
- Navigate to the Disk 1 folder.
- Start the installer.
- For Windows, run setup.exe.
- For UNIX, run setup.bin.
- In the Welcome panel, click Next.
- Review the license agreement, click I agree to the terms of license agreement, and then click Next.
- In the AR System Server Information panel, perform the following actions:
- Enter AR System username and password.
- Enter AR System port number and host name.
- Navigate to the directory in which you want to install BMC Atrium CMDB.
The default locations are:
- For Windows: C:\Program Files\BMC Software\AtriumCore
- For UNIX or Linux: /opt/bmc/AtriumCore
- To install BMC Atrium Core Web Services on an external Tomcat, select Use external tomcat server check box.
- Select the Tomcat service (Windows) or navigate to the Tomcat directory (UNIX)
- Select the Java home path which would be used by Tomcat.
- Enter the http and https port details for the external Tomcat.
- Click Next. The installer validates the system resources of your computer.
- In the Installation Mode panel, select Install and then click Next.
- In the BMC Atrium Installation Information panel, review the information and then click Next.
In the Features panel, select only the BMC Atrium Core Web Services components, and then click Next.
For example, select BMC Atrium Core Web Services and BMC Atrium Core Web Services Registry.
Make sure Tomcat service is created and running, if you are using existing Tomcat in a windows environment.
If you have registered Tomcat as a service, the installer automatically detects the Tomcat. Hence, you need not check if the Tomcat service is running.
In the succeeding panels, enter the values from the planning spreadsheet.
- In the Run Preinstall Health Check panel, click Next to run the additional validation tests.
If you don't want to run the health check, select No, and then click Next.
The health check is run after the installation.
- The installer validates the inputs. The Installation Preview panel appears, listing the product and product features that will be installed.
- Click Install.
Installation summary is displayed.
- To verify the installation, click View Log.
- Verify and rectify if there are any SEVERE error messages or warnings in the product installer log.
See whether errors are due to network, host, or other environment-related issues.
You can also view a log file of the installation here:
- Click Done to exit the BMC Atrium Core installer.
BMC Atrium Core does not provide load-balancing support for BMC Atrium web services components in an AR System server group environment. Instead, you can configure the AR System server group for providing redundancy capabilities to the web services components. For this, you need to update the BMC Atrium web services registry on the secondary servers. See, from the BMC Atrium Core online documentation.