Performing the BMC Remedy ITSM installation
When you run the installer, you can choose one or more applications or features to upgrade at one time. Because certain applications depend on a specific set of features, you might need to run the installer multiple times to upgrade all of the applications in the ITSM solution. For example, you can perform the following actions:
- Install an initial product, and then run the installer a second time to install multiple components.
- Rerun the installer multiple times to install additional language packs.
The sample data is installed only if you install the entire ITSM suite, not a single product.
The following topics are provided:
Before you begin
Ensure that you complete the following tasks before you install the products in the suite:
- Review the instructions documented in the Prepare an application for installation topic.
- Apply the appropriate BMC Remedy ITSM licenses to the AR System server before you start installation.
- Install Atrium Integrator Server before you start installation.
- To significantly reduce installation time, do not install products over a WAN.
- To avoid configuration problems, accept the default values displayed in the installer unless you have a valid reason to modify them.
- If you install the sample data, apply at least 20 AR User Fixed licenses for each BMC Remedy ITSM application.
- Unix non-root mode: You must have write access to \etc, \opt\bmc folder, and the install location.
- Windows non-admin mode: You must have write access to the install location, and %windir% directory.
If you are installing BMC Knowledge Management, license and install Full Text Search (FTS) on the AR System server. The installer disables FTS indexing before the installation (if it is already enabled) and enables FTS indexing before the end of the installation.
To install BMC Remedy ITSM
Perform the following steps to install BMC Remedy ITSM:
- Download the BMC Remedy ITSM applications installer from the Electronic Product Download (EPD) site, or navigate to the installation directory on the DVD.
On EPD, in the Licensed product view, go to BMC Remedy Service Desk Application & AR System > BMC Remedy Service Desk Application & AR System <version> > BMC Remedy ITSM Applications (Service Desk/Change Management/Asset Management/Knowledge Management)
- Unzip the installer.
- Navigate to the Disk 1 folder.
(UNIX) If you are running the installer as a nonroot user, perform the steps listed in Preparing to install as a nonroot user, before you start the installer.
BMC recommends that when you install the application on UNIX, you perform the installation as a root user. However, you can perform the installation as a non-root user. To do so, you must log on to the UNIX system under the same UNIX user ID that was used to install BMC Remedy AR System.
- Start the installer:
- (Windows) Run setup.exe
(UNIX) Log on as root or nonroot and run setup.bin.
- In the lower-right corner of the Welcome panel, click Next.
- Review the license agreement, click I agree to the terms of license agreement, and then click Next.
- In the BMC Remedy AR System User Inputspanel, perform the following actions:
- Verify that the administrator name and password are correct, or modify them as needed.
- To review the default installation directory, navigate to the direc tory in which you want to install BMC Remedy ITSM Suite.
The default locations are as follows:
- (Microsoft) C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BMCRemedyITSMSuite
- (UNIX) /opt/bmc/BMCRemedyITSMSuite
- Click Next.
The installer validates the system resources of your computer and displays a list of available features (such as BMC Remedy Asset Management, BMC Remedy Change Management, and so on).
- Select one or more BMC Remedy ITSM applications to install, and then click Next.
The installer checks the AR System server for valid BMC Remedy ITSM licenses.
- Enter the values from the installation spreadsheet for the applications that you want to install.
The installer validates your input, and then the Installation Preview panel appears, listing the product and product features that will be installed. You are close to completion of the BMC Remedy ITSM installation.
- Click Install.
After post-installation cleanup, a summary of the installation appears.
- Click View Log to review the SEVERE error messages or warnings in the product installer log.
See whether errors are due to network, host, or other environment-related issues. The installation log file is placed at the following location:
- Close the log when you finish.
- Click Done to exit the BMC Remedy ITSM installer.
Before you log on to the AR System server, flush the mid tier cache and your browser cache.
With this release, you cannot directly login as a appadmin user. To access appadmin user, you need to manually update the password using the AR system administrator credentials.