Installing BMC Remedy Mid Tier
- To reduce installation time significantly, do not install the products over a WAN.
- To avoid configuration problems, accept the default values displayed in the installer unless you have a valid reason to modify them.
- In a Proof of Concept (PoC) environment, you can use bundled Apache Tomcat to deploy Mid Tier. However, in a production environment, you must use an external Tomcat to deploy Mid Tier. For instructions, see Installing Remedy Mid Tier on an external Tomcat.
- For best results, install BMC Remedy Mid Tier on a separate computer from the BMC Remedy AR System server.
When installing BMC Remedy Mid Tier:
- Unix non-root mode: You must have write access to /etc, /opt/bmc folder, and the install location.
- Windows non-admin mode: You must have write access to the install location, and %windir% directory.
To install Remedy Mid Tier
- Download the BMC Remedy AR System installer on a computer other than where you installed the AR System server.
- Unzip the suite installer (for example, ARSuiteKitWindows.zip or ARSuiteKitLinux.zip).
- Open the Disk 1 folder.
- Start the installer:
- For Windows, run setup.exe.
- For UNIX, run setup.bin.
- In the lower-right corner of the Welcome panel, click Next.
- Review the license agreement, click I agree to the terms of license agreement, and then click Next.
- On the Products selection panel, perform the following actions:
- Select Install.
- Select AR System mid tier and clear the other options.
The installer validates the system resources of your computer and displays a list of available features.
- Navigate to the directory in which you want to install the BMC Remedy AR System application.
The default locations are C:\Program Files\BMC Software\ARSystem (Windows) and /opt/bmc/ARSystem (UNIX and Linux).
- Click Next.
- Enter the values from the installation spreadsheet for the mid tier.
After you have entered the required information, the installer validates your inputs. The Installation Preview panel then appears, listing the product and features that will be installed.
- Click Next.
After post-installation cleanup, a summary of the installation appears.
- Click View Log to review any error messages or warnings in the product installer log.
See whether errors are due to network, host, or other environment-related issues. You can view a log file of the installation:
For Windows, C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\arsystem_install_log.txt
For UNIX, /tmp/arsystem_install_log.txt
- Click Done to exit the AR System installer.
- Open the BMC Remedy Mid Tier Configuration Tool ( http://<midTierServer>:<PortNumber>/arsys/shared/config/config.jsp ). If the AR Server Name field is not already populated on the login screen, enter a valid AR Server name and credentials. For more information, see
- Click General Settings.
- Select the AR System server as the authentication server, and then click Save Changes.
- Log out.
To install Remedy Mid Tier in silent mode
You can install BMC Remedy Mid Tier in silent mode by using the ARSystem-ini-template.txt file. The ARSystem-ini-template.txt file contains all the options that you can use for silent installation. You can find the ARSystem-ini-template.txt file in the <InstallerDirectory>\Disk1\utility folder.
Add the following option in the ARSystem-ini-template.txt file:
Run the installer with the
- i silentoption. For more information on silent installation, see .