Viewing and monitoring groups
As an operator, you can view and monitor all the impacted devices displayed based on the criteria specified while creating a group.
This topic explains the groups view and group details view. For instructions on creating groups, see Setting up groups.
Each group is a logical collection of monitored entities in BMC Helix Operations Management . The Groups functionality allows you to filter and group impacted devices based on an entity selection criteria and events based on the event selection criteria. You can use the selection query to define filters in a meaningful way so that it groups the impacted devices and matching events logically. Groups can be associated with authorization profiles if required. For example, all VMs in a particular region can be filtered and grouped, or all Windows or Linux hosts that must be monitored by a specific operator can be filtered and grouped. Groups created in BMC Helix Operations Management can be published as a service model, which can be viewed in BMC Discovery and BMC Helix AIOps consoles. There is no limit to the number of groups that you can create. However, as a best practice, keep this list manageable.
You can use groups to view details, such as group impact summary, group impact status, top three impacted groups, list of devices in each group, total number of devices, list of events on the devices, severity of each event, default priority of each event, host name, and event message, and quickly perform event actions.
From the Monitoring > Groups page, you can do the following:
- View information about impacted groups, group impact status, and top three impacted groups.
- For each individual group, view information about total number of events, summary of event severity, and total number of devices.
- Search for groups.
- Sort the list of groups by impact or name.
- Click on any group tile to view the group details.
Groups page orientation
The following annotated screenshot orients you with the Groups page:
- Top 3 groups based on the number of events.
- Group Status: Impact distribution.
- Total number of impacted groups.
- Search by group name.
- Individual tile for each group. Click on the tile to view group details.
- Total number of events in the group.
- Distribution of events: Critical, Major, Minor, Info.
- Total number of devices associated with the group.
- Tools: Page Refresh and Help buttons.
- Total number of groups displayed on the current page.
- Sort by: Impact or Name.
Group details and event actions
On the Groups page, click on an individual tile to view the Group Details page. You can do the following:
- View the individual group information.
- View the list of events and perform event actions.
- View the list of devices and device details.
Here is an annotated screenshot of the Group Details page:
- Event summary of the group: Total events, events in each severity, number of devices.
- Group information: Name, description, highest event severity, selection query, last updated time.
- Events tab.
- Devices tab. Click to view details.
- Tools. To work with events. (Same as action menu items).
- List of events with details: Status, Severity, Priority, Occurrence time, Host name, and Message.
- Action menu. To work with events. (Same as tools).
- Number of events on the current page and number of events selected.