Viewing the health of applications in your network
In the TrueSight console you can see the status of all your applications. You can view all the applications that are created manually and that are automatically discovered in your network, and you can sort by application importance or severity. You can select a single application and drill down to investigate the source of an application issue.
To view the status summary of all applications, click Monitoring > Applications in the TrueSight console. In parentheses next to the Applications page title is the number of monitored applications.
The color of an application indicates the current severity of events on an application. The application severity is calculated as follows:
- If your system includesTrueSight Infrastructure Management, the application severity is calculated based on the open events directly associated with the application, and the open events associated with any device or monitor instance that is part of the application.
- If your system includes only the TrueSight App Visibility Manager, without TrueSight Infrastructure Management, the application severity is calculated based on the transaction severity associated with the application.
Each event has a severity level associated with it. The severity level in combination with the importance indicates the seriousness of the event and the urgency of the need to take action. For example, a high severity level for an event with low importance is no cause for alarm, but a high severity level for an event with high importance indicates an urgent need for action. Even if the severity of one device or monitor instance in an application is critical (denoted by the color red), the severity of the entire application becomes red. The following figure is a snapshot of the Applications page based on severity.
In the following figure, one application is red with a corresponding icon, indicating that the severity is critical. All the other applications are green with a corresponding icon , indicating that no events or transaction problems are detected and the severity is OK.
You can click the name of any application to view details of that application. You can Viewing the details of an application.view the application model. For more information, see
Example of the Applications page
Viewing applications by event severity or application importance
You can sort and filter applications by the severity of application events or by the designated importance of the applications.
The appearance of an application reflects the highest severity of one or more events on the application.
The severity is indicated by different colors and icons:
|Critical (red)||At least one monitored metric exceeded the defined|
|Major (dark orange)*||At least one monitored metric exceeds the defined Major threshold.|
|Minor (light orange)||At least one monitored metric exceeded the defined Minor|
|Warning (yellow-orange)*||At least one monitored metric exceeded the defined Warning threshold.|
|Information (blue)||Information about the application|
No monitored metrics exceed the defined thresholds.
*For applications that are automatically generated, the Major and Warning severity levels do not apply.
Application importance is sorted by high, medium, and low. For applications created in the TrueSight console, you can set the importance when you create an application. For applications discovered by App Visibility, the importance is set as medium by default. You can change the importance for either kind of application, later.
To view applications by severity or importance
- In the TrueSight console, click Monitoring > Applications.
On the Applications page, click the action menu icon and select the way you want to view applications: View by Importance and View by Severity.
Selecting the primary sort
- Click a filter button
- If you are viewing by importance, click a severity filter button to view or hide applications of that severity.
- If you are viewing by severity, click an importance filter button to view or hide applications of that importance.
to limit the list of applications:
- Below the filter buttons, click the action menu to select a secondary sort for the page: Sort by Name, Sort by Severity or Importance, and Sort by Impact Duration (that is, how long the application has been in this state).
- (Optional) click the action menu
from the Applications page and select the following options:
- Select Save as Preferences, to make the current page settings as your default settings.
- Select Set as Landing Page, to display the Applications page as the default page, every time you log on to the TrueSight console.
- (Optional) Click the Collapse Filters icon to collapse the quick filters area, to gain more display area for the applications. Toggle between displaying and hiding the quick filters area by using this option.
- (Optional) Click the help icon . to launch the context-sensitive help. By default, the online version of the documentation is displayed. You can also use an offline version of the documentation. For more information, see
- (Optional) Click the Refresh icon to manually refresh the applications list.
If the App Visibility agent captures transaction data during a port scan, such as that used by antivirus software, the Applications page might display an application name that appears to be random characters.
You can resolve this issue in one of the following ways:
- Add an application discovery rule to discard the application with the unexpected name
- Delete the application, which prevents it from being displayed in the TrueSight console. If the application is automatically discovered again, contact Customer Support to discard it, permanently.
Where to go from here
Click the following options to further investigate the application:
- Viewing the details of an application
- (App Visibility) Investigating severity and impact of application issues
- (App Visibility) Monitoring synthetic transactions by application
- Viewing an application model
- (TrueSight Infrastructure Management)