Deploying web beacons to calculate page-render time
A page-render beacon (or a web beacon) is a file in your web application that calculates the page-render time metric for content served by a CDN.
Before you begin
Ensure that the web beacon file name meets the following requirements:
- It must contain 1 to 256 characters.
- It must not contain the following characters:
\ / : " < >.
- It must not consist of a wildcard mask only (for example,
- The file extension must be .!cm to ensure that it is cached.
BMC recommends that you do not rename page-render beacons because external content providers can cache the request and response.
To perform this procedure, you must have Operator-level access, or higher.
To deploy a web beacon
- Put the web beacon target file on your web server.
- Locate the web beacons in the directory that is specified by the PL_GO_IMG variable in the instrumentation code.
- Make the system detect the web beacons.
- Turn the web beacons on.
In the Real User Analyzer, point to Administration > Data flow settings, and click Web beacons.
- In Instrumentation beacons, click ON.