Associating a CI to an incident
By automatic assignment of a Configuration Item (CI) to an incident, an organisation can manage IT infrastructure incidents better while saving time and effort. This use case describes how to associate a CI related to an incident. An organisation can automate the management of IT infrastructure incidents while saving time and effort that goes into manually searching and assigning CI to an incident.
Scenario for associating a CI to an incident
Workflow for associating a CI to an incident
- A monitoring tool through integration sends an incident with CI lookup to ITSM.
For ITSM to be able to access to CMDB, you must first perform the procedure as described in Providing ITSM with access to CMDB.
- If it is a simple lookup, ITSM sends it to CMDB and finds the CI.
- ITSM returns the incident along with that CI.
- If an exact match for the CI is not found in CMDB, a complex search is performed.
- CMDB REST API performs the complex lookup using the default class queries mapping in CMDB, and returns a CI.
- ITSM associates the CI with the incident.
Benefits of associating a CI to an incident
Whenever an event within an organization results in the creation of an incident, ITSM automatically associates a CI with the incident. Using this information, an incident manager can know the CI that could be the probable cause of the incident. As a result of this, time and effort is saved in manually searching the CI that is associated with the incident. This can help an organisation to resolve an incident faster.