Creating a product alias in the Product Catalog
The Product Catalog can use a product alias for naming products. A product alias specifies another name that might be used for a product in the Product Catalog. When you create this alias, you change the Product Catalog entry for the product.
Product aliases are used in BMC Change Management, license compliance, Report Center, and other reports that use Product Catalog data. For example, you can use the product alias of a software CI to generate a report for outdated licenses for that software.
This alias is not used in normalization. To create a product or manufacturer alias for normalization, see Mapping discovery categorization to product categorization.
Calbro Services wanted to have the product named Microsoft Notepad listed in reports as Notepad without modifying the Product Name value. So Calbro Services created an alias of Notepad for the Microsoft Notepad product.
To create a product alias for a product entry
- From the Product Catalog Console, click General Functions > New Product/Suite.
The Product Catalog Setup window opens in New mode.
- From the Product Catalog Setup window, search for a product, or create one.
- From the Product Category area, select the product.
- On the Product Alias tab, click Create.
- In the Product Alias Update window, enter the product alias.
- Click Save.
- In the Company and Module Relationships area, click View.
- Set the Normalized Product status to Yes.
- Click Save.