Installing the Integration Service and Remote Cell using the wizard
Where you are in the Installation process
|1||Complete the planning activities|
|2||Prepare for TrueSight Operations Management installation|
|3||Install Remedy Single Sign-On|
|4||Install TrueSight Presentation Server|
|5||Install Infrastructure Management — Phase A|
|Install Infrastructure Management — Phase B (You are here)|
|Install Infrastructure Management — Phase C|
|6||Install Application Visibility Manager (If licensed)|
|7||Install Real End User Experience Monitoring Software Edition (If licensed)|
|8||Install TrueSight IT Data Analytics (If licensed)|
|9||Complete the post-installation activities|
Infrastructure Management allows you to install one or more Integration Services on a single computer. Multiple TrueSight Infrastructure Management Servers in different locations can connect to different Integration Services running on a single computer. However, each Integration Service on a computer can communicate with only one TrueSight Infrastructure Management Server at a time.
To install the Integration Service and Remote Cell
Do the following:
Log in to the host computer (as a root user or a non-root user if you are using Linux) on which you want to install the Integration Service and Remote Cell, and delete all the files from the temporary directory:
- (Windows) %temp%
- (Linux) /tmp
- Extract the downloaded zip files (the installer) to a temporary directory.
Save the TSIMAgent.zip file on your drive and extract its contents.
(Linux) Apply executable rights to all the installation files by running the following command:
chmod -R 755 installationDirectoryFolderName
installationDirectoryFolderName is the name of the folder that contains all the installation files.
chmod -R 755 Disk1
Navigate to the Disk1 directory of the extracted folder, and run the installer:
install.cmdwith the Run as administrator option
./install.shas a root user or a non-root user
Review the Welcome page, and click Next.
Read the license agreement, agree to the terms, and click Next.
The preinstallation check utility verifies whether the computer meets the requirements for installing the Integration Service. If the preinstallation check fails, the errors or warnings are listed in the Notification page. Ensure that you correct the issues, and restart the installation process.
A warning is displayed if the Microsoft .NET Framework is not installed on the computer. Install Microsoft .NET Framework version 3.0.
- If you want to install an additional Integration Service, on the Existing Installed Instances Detected page, select Install a new instance of this application.
The default installation directory for the first instance is:
(Windows) \Program Files\BMC Software\TSIMAgent
Retain the default or select a different directory, and click Next.
- (Windows) Do not install the product in a root directory (for example, C: or D: ), shared drive, or directly in the Documents and Settings folder.
- (Linux) Do not install the product in the root directory.
- (Linux) The directory in which the the product is installed and all its parent directories must have 755 permissions (read, write, and execute permissions to owner, groups, and others) and must be owned by root as well as others. Without these permissions and ownership, you will not be able to log in to the TrueSight Infrastructure Management Server.
Select the components that you want to install, and click Next.
Based on your selection, the applicable configuring pages are displayed. Type the appropriate details and click Next.
- Configuring the Integration Service
- Port number for the Integration Service. The range is between 1024 and 65535. Ensure that the specified port is free.
Port number of the staging adapter. The default port number is 3183. Ensure that the specified port is free.
Port Communication channel Property in the pronet.conf file Integration Service Integration Service ↔ Infrastructure Management server pronet.apps.agent.port Staging Adapter Integration Service ↔ PATROL Agent pronet.apps.is.staging.port
- Configuring the Remote Cell
i. Provide the Remote Cell configuration details:
- Name of the cell instance. The host name is the default cell instance name.
- Port number for the cell. The range is between 1024 and 65535. The default port number for the cell is 1828. Ensure that the specified port is free.
- Encryption key for the cell. The default value is mc, and special characters are not allowed.
ii. To configure the cell in a high availability mode, select Configure High Availability mode, select one of the following options, and provide the required details:
Primary Server—In the Secondary Cell HostName box, enter the host name of the secondary cell.
You do not have to enter the details of the primary server. The Cell Instance Name, the Cell Port, and the Cell Encryption Key details that were specified in the previous step are used as the details for the primary server.
Secondary Server—Provide the following details for the secondary server:
- Instance name of the secondary cell
- Port number for the secondary cell. The range is between 1024 and 65535. Ensure that the specified port is free.
Encryption key for the secondary cell. The default value is mc, and special characters are not allowed.
If the SecondaryCell Encryption Key value is mc, this signifies that the cell is using Secure Socket Layer (SSL) security protocol for its communication.
To configure the cell to communicate using Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocol, set the SecondaryCell Encryption Key value to tls.
Host name of the primary cell.
After you configure cells in the high availability mode, the secondary remote cell service is displayed as Started.
- Configuring the Integration Service and the Remote Cell:
Configure the Integration Service. See Step11 (a) above.
Configure the Remote Cell. See Step 11 (b) above.
Review the installation details, and click Install.
After the installation is complete, the Installation Summary page is displayed.
Select View Logs to open the installation logs.
To verify that the Integration Service is running:
(Windows) Check if the Integration Service(portNumber) service status is Started.
(Linux) Navigate to the installationDirectory/pw/pronto/bin/ directory and run the
pw agent statuscommand. Verify that the pronet_agent process is listed.
If the pronet_agent process is not listed, run the
pw agent startcommand. This command restarts all the Integration Service processes.
- If you modify the control port of a service explicitly through the pronet.conf file, the port number is not updated in the Add/Remove Programs applet and in the Agent Service display name field.
- Each Integration Service on a system runs on a separate Java Virtual Machine (JVM).
- You can check the version number of the Integration Service in the AGENT_VERSION file
- (Windows) installationDirectory\Agent\pronto\bin\AGENT_VERSION
- (Linux) installationDirectory/pw/pronto/bin/AGENT_VERSION
- If you are monitoring the Integration Service for a process crash using the Microsoft Debug Diagnostics Tool (DebugDiag tool), BMC recommends that in the Services window, you stop and start the service, instead of restarting the service.
To install multiple Integration Services on a single computer
By installing multiple Integration Services on a single computer, you can partition the monitoring into different domains and maximize hardware usage. Multiple TrueSight Infrastructure Management Servers in different locations can connect to different Integration Services running on the same computer. Each Integration Service can collect a different set of data authorized for its respective TrueSight Infrastructure Management Server.
- Installing multiple Integration Services on a single computer adds additional load on the computer in terms of CPU, IO, Memory, and TCP buffer.
- Do not install an earlier version of the Integration Service on a computer that has a later version installed.
- When installing multiple integration services on a single computer, only the first integration service installed is installed with a cell. Subsequent integration service installations update the cell installed with the first integration service.
You can choose to install a new instance of the Integration Service or alternatively, you can upgrade an existing Integration Service by selecting from the list displayed. If you want to upgrade an existing Integration Service, see .
The procedure to install multiple integration services is similar to installing the Integration Service for the first time.
- Perform the installation procedure as described above.
- (Windows) If WinPCAP application is installed, on the local agent Installation dialog box, click Yes to overwrite the IP Top10 detailed diagnostics.
The computer requires time to update installation information. BMC recommends that you wait a minimum of five seconds between installations.