Upgrading Integration Service on Linux and Remote Cell on Linux, IBM AIX, or Solaris
This section provides instructions for upgrading the Integration Service on a Linux operating system and the Remote Cell on a Linux, IBM AIX, or Solaris operating system.
- With TrueSight Infrastructure Management 10.5 release, the upgrade of the Integration Service is not supported on the Solaris or AIX operating systems.
- On the Solaris operating system:
- If you have only Remote cell installed, you can upgrade it.
- If you have both Integration Service and Remote cell installed, you cannot upgrade any of these components.
- On the AIX 7.1 operating system, you cannot upgrade Integration Service or Remote cell.
You can read the S81pronto file under /etc/rc3.d/ to find the location of the installation directory for an already installed Integration Service on the Linux computer.
Before you begin
- If the Integration Service cell KB has any customizations, ensure that your existing customized KB is merged with the new 11.0 version.
- Ensure that you have root permissions for the computer on which you want to upgrade the Integration Service.
- Ensure that the computer on which you are upgrading the Integration Service adheres to the hardware, operating system, platform, and software requirements listed in System requirements and product compatibility for Infrastructure Management.
- Ensure that you have access to the Infrastructure Management files that you have downloaded (in binary mode) from the BMC Electronic Product Download site or from the TrueSight console.
- Ensure that you use the binary mode when you are moving files from one system to another.
- If you have installed only the Integration Service and not the cell but the cell directory (/pw/server directory) exists in the computer, the upgrade installer upgrades the Integration Service as well as installs the cell. If you do not want to install the cell, rename the cell directory and proceed with the Integration Service upgrade. Post upgrade, you can rename the cell directory to the original name.
- If you have manually changed the standalone or High Availability (HA) mode for the cell after installation, see Prerequisites for Integration Service and Remote cell upgrade.
- Ensure that the /tmp/agentlist file is present. If it is not present, then create the file and add an entry for the installed Integration Service. For example, if you have two Integration Services installed at /opt/bmc/TSIMAgent and /data1/bmc/TSIMAgent on ports 12124 and 12125 respectively, add the following two entries in the agentlist file:
BMC TrueSight Agent 10.5 build 231209006(12124);/opt/bmc/TSIMAgent
BMC TrueSight Agent 10.7 build 231209006(12125;/data1/bmc/TSIMAgent
Toupgrade a Integration Service on Solaris or Linux
Access one of the following locations and download the Integration Service installation program:
- DVD — Insert the installation DVD. In the <installLocation>\Windows directory, open the TSIMAgent\Windows folder.
- BMC Software EPD website—For more information about downloading the installation program from the BMC Software EPD website, see Downloading the Infrastructure Management installation files.
- TrueSight console—For more information about downloading the installation program from the TrueSight console, see Downloading and installing additional instances of the Integration Service.
Apply executable rights to all the installation files by running the following command:
chmod -R 777 installationDirectoryFolderName
installationDirectoryFolderName is the name of the folder that contains all the installation files.
Run one of the following commands to set the DISPLAY environment to enable the installation program UI to launch:
setenv DISPLAY targetHostName:0.0
targetHostName is the name of the computer on which you want to display the installation program UI.
On a command line, run the following command as a root user:
- On the Welcome page, click Next.
- On the License Agreement page, select I agree to the terms of the license agreement, and click Next.
The preinstallation check utility verifies whether the computer meets the requirements for installing the Integration Service. If the preinstallation check fails, the errors or warnings are listed in the Notification page. In that case, ensure that you correct the issues, and restart the installation process.
- On the Existing Installed Instances Detected page, select Maintain or update the instance of this application selected below.
- Select the Integration Service or Remote Cell instance to upgrade, and click Next.
- On the Upgrade Confirmation page, click Yes, and click Next.
The installer automatically checks for the upgrade requirements. If it finds any errors, it displays them on a separate window. You can quit the upgrade process at this point, correct the indicated discrepancies, and then rerun the upgrade.
On the Configuring KB Migration Path page, if you have already migrated customized KB definitions to the new standard 11.0 KB, select Yes, and browse to the path of the customized KB directory.
You must migrate and merge your KB only if the KB and the mcell.conf file located at MCELL_HOME\etc\cellName\ contain any customizations.
The directory path must follow this hierarchy structure for each cell KB to be migrated:
/topLevelDirectory/mergedKB/server/etc/cellName, where /server/etc/cellName is the standard subdirectory.
If you do have KBs to migrate but have not done so yet, you can stop the upgrade process and migrate the KBs by using the
mmigrateutility. For more information, see Using the mmigrate utility. After you successfully migrate the KB to version 11.0, you can continue with this procedure.
During the upgrade, the installer copies the KBs in the /mergedKB/server/etc/ directory and overwrites them in the default installationDirectory/pw/server/etc/cellName directory.
On the Installation Preview window, click Install.
When the upgrade is complete, the upgrade automatically starts the Integration Service processes.
After upgrading the Integration Service and Cell on the primary server, stop the Integration Server processes on the primary server and proceed with the upgrade of Integration Service and Cell on the secondary server. After the upgrade is completed on the secondary server, you must start the processes on the primary server.
- On the Installation Summary window, click View Log to display the installation/upgrade log.
The Integration Service is upgraded.
- If you are installing on the AIX platform and using DB2 Database monitors, see Finishing the upgrade process on the AIX platform.
Where to go from here
- After you upgrade the Integration Service and remote cell, verify that Integration Service and cell is running
- Restore original SSL certificates for Integration Service.