Performing an App Visibility agent for Java upgrade silently
This topic presents procedures to silently upgrade an App Visibility agent for Java from version 10.5, or later, to the current version. You can upgrade agents using the silent upgrade procedure, as presented in this topic, and deploy the silent upgrade to several computers, or you can upgrade each agent using the . To upgrade from an earlier version of App Visibility, upgrade to version 10.5 and then upgrade to the new version.
After you upgrade an agent, it runs using the same log files and configuration, and the same agent policy and recording configuration apply.
This topic contains the following sections:
Before you begin
Download the following agent upgrade files from the Electronic Product Distribution site to a temporary directory on the agent computer:
- Windows - ad_java_agent_win_11.0.00.zip
- Linux - ad_java_agent_linux_11.0.00.tar.gz
- Solaris - ad_java_agent_solaris_11.0.00.tar.gz
- AIX- ad_java_agent_aix_11.0.00.tar.gz
You must have execute privileges on the upgrade scripts and write access to the upgrade location.
To upgrade an App Visibility agent for Java silently
Log on to the computer with the user that runs the application server.
On Windows computers, you must run the upgrade with a user that has administrator privileges.
- Open the silent options file javaagent-silent-options-upgrade.txt in a text editor.
- Enter the destination directory where the agent for Java is installed.
The default value is:
- (Windows) C:\Program Files (x86)\BMC Software\App Visibility\Agent for Java
- (Linux, AIX, Solaris) /opt/bmc/JavaAgent
- Stop the application server or Java virtual machine (JVM) process on the agent computer.
- Start the application server or JVM process.
Behavior of the agent and agent policy after upgrade
Upgrading the App Visibility agent does not change the agent policy files. Agent policy files are upgraded with the App Visibility server, and they contain the new features for the agents. The agent for Java continues to use the same agent policy file as before the upgrade.
Where to go from here
If you have a single App Visibility agent installation directory that is used by multiple JVM processes, give the App Visibility agents unique names.
After you update the agent, perform the following procedures:
- that upgrade of the agent for Java is successful and that the agent is sending data.
- If you upgraded your App Visibility server, and you enabled high availability in the upgraded version, ensure that you to connect to the portal's load balancing server.
- Examine and modify, if necessary, the and .