Creating TrueSight Server Automation jobs to deploy Operations Management component packages to remote hosts
After you create and push the component packages into TrueSight Server Automation and create a property instance, you create deployment jobs in TrueSight Server Automation to deploy those packages to the remote hosts on which you want to install the components.
To create a deployment job
- In the navigation tree of the TrueSight Server Automation Console, expand the Depot folder and then the Packages folder until the PATROL folder is displayed.
- In the PATROL folder, select the package that you want to deploy, right-click, and choose Deploy.
The New Deploy Job wizard is displayed.
- In the New Deploy Job wizard, perform the following steps:
- On the General page, enter a job name and description, and select the directory into which you want to save the job. Click Next.
- On the Package page, perform the following actions:
- Click the PATROL_INSTALL_CONFIG variable, select the property instance that you created in the Creating a property instance in TrueSight Server Automation task, and click OK.
- Ensure that the RULESET variable is blank unless you are deploying a PATROL Agent package, in which case the value must be PIA_WIN.cfg
- Click the TAG variable and enter the tag created in the Central Monitoring Administration console that you want to use to configure the components in this deployment.
The TAG value must be in the following format:
Tags are defined in the policies created in the Central Monitoring Administration console.
- Click Next.
- On the Targets page, in the Available Targets pane, expand the list of servers, select the servers that you want to deploy the package to, and click the Add Selected button.
The server name is displayed in the Selected Targets pane.
- On the Default Notification page, accept the defaults and click Next.
- On the Phases and Schedules page, accept the defaults and click Next.
- On the Job Options page, accept the defaults and click Next.
- On the Phase Options page, accept the defaults and click Next.
- On the Properties page, accept the defaults and click Next.
- On the Permissions page, accept the defaults and click Finish.
- In the navigation tree in the TrueSight Server Automation Console, expand the Jobs folder, select the job that you created, right-click that job, and choose Execute.
The package is deployed to the servers that you specified, and the components in the package are installed. The PATROL Agent connects to the Integration Service that is defined in the property instance that you associated with the package. The Integration Service communicates the tag that is defined in the property instance to Central Monitoring Administration. Central Monitoring Administration uses that tag to determine what configuration to use to configure the PATROL Agent.
After the installation and configuration completes successfully, the PATROL Agent starts monitoring objects based on what is defined in the configuration.
Also see the Deploying files and applications using packages and depot objects topic in the BMC Server Automation online documentation.