Integrating with BMC Atrium CMDB in a cloud environment
In cloud deployments, BMC recommends that you integrate Child Servers with BMC Atrium CMDB only in the following scenarios:-
- If you want to use service models defined in BMC Atrium CMDB, in Infrastructure Management
- If you want to use the configuration item (CI) -based read and write access control settings defined in BMC Atrium CMDB, in Infrastructure Management
If you specify an incorrect cell name in the CIs that reside in BMC Atrium CMDB, then the tenant details are duplicated across all Child Servers. This duplication results in all the tenants being displayed in the Operations Console of each of the Child Servers. This in turn becomes a bottleneck when service operators want to identify the Child Server that contains the actual data for a specific tenant.
If you are integrating Infrastructure Management with BMC Atrium CMDB, before installing the Child Server, ensure that either one of the following recommendations is satisfied:
- No CI is qualified to be published
- Set all the CIs that are flagged to be published with a proper destination cell name
Confirming that no CI is qualified to be published
- Launch Impact Model Designer.
- Click the Find drawer.
- Click the New icon. The Query - New dialog box is displayed.
- On the General Information tab, Query Name text box, enter PublishQualifiedCIs as the name of the query.
- On the Editor tab, drag and drop the Base Element CI (on the left side) to the Query area, select the CI, and click the Edit icon.
- In the Conditions dialog box, add the conditions for the query as shown in the figure below.
- Click Save.
The PublishQualifiedCIs query is displayed in the Query area on the left side.
If no search results are displayed, then no CIs are qualified to be published through the OOB Atrium Publication Filters. Verify if there are no user defined Publication Filters. If the search result displays some CIs, then set the proper value for the destination cell name of the CIs that are displayed. For more information see #Setting destination cell names for CIs. Select the PublishQualifiedCIs query and click the Run icon.
Setting destination cell names for CIs
- Edit each CI that is flagged to be published. That is, edit those CIs returned by executing the PublishQualifiedCIs query in #step 8 of the Confirming that no CI is qualified to be published section.
To edit a CI, drag and drop the CI to the BMC.ASSET view, click the arrow icon at the top right corner of the CI, and click Edit.
- In the Edit Component Properties dialog box, set the Cell field to a value other an Default. Alternatively, in the Publish to Infrastructure Management Performance Manager (BPPM) area, select either the Inherit: Publication is dictated by the value set in this CI's consumers or the No: Do Not Publish Me nor My Providers option.
- Click OK.