Getting started with infrastructure monitoring
TrueSight Infrastructure Management provides you with a visual representation of the monitored resources in your environment and the ability to identify and diagnose issues.
Quickly set up infrastructure monitoring
The out-of-the-box deployable packages and monitoring policies help you get started with infrastructure monitoring. After you install the TrueSight Presentation Server and the Infrastructure Management Server, perform the following steps:
- Add the Infrastructure Management Server as a component using the TrueSight console. For more information, see Adding and editing components .
- Import the Infrastructure Management-PATROL Repository. Choose the Full repository with Predefined Packages and Policies option. For more information, see Importing the Infrastructure Management repository.
- Select Yes for the Enable the Predefined Monitoring Policies? option, so that monitoring starts automatically after you deploy a package.
- To enable data collection, deploy a PATROL Agent and a basic operating system monitoring solution.
From the Deployable Packages tab of the Administration > Repository page, select and download the appropriate package, based on the operating system of the PATROL Agent host computer.
- Copy the deployable package to the PATROL Agent host computer and extract the compressed file.
- Run the RunSilentInstall file located under the bmc_products directory.
The PATROL Agent and basic operating system monitoring solution are installed on the PATROL Agent host computer.
- From the TrueSight console, navigate to the Configuration > Infrastructure Policies page and ensure that the predefined polices are enabled. The precedence for predefined policies starts with 960. The default precedence for policies is now 900.
Data collection should now start and the monitored information available in the TrueSight console.
Monitor your infrastructure from the TrueSight console
The color-coded and severity-ranked Devices page enables you to determine which devices require attention. You can drill-down to any device from the Devices page and view details on the Device details page.
The Events page displays an event's status, severity, and summary. From this page, you can:
- Choose the event source to be all Infrastructure Management Servers or a specific remote cell
- Filter the events to display the relevant ones and take necessary action on them
- Group events based on specific conditions and provide role-based access on them
- Drill down to any event to troubleshoot and perform probable cause analysis.
To make information easier to find and manage, you can create groups that correspond to real-world relationships (such as by city, a specific department, or the type of resource). You can monitor groups through the Groups page.
While any user can view device data and drill down to diagnose the root cause of a problem, no data is available until TrueSight Infrastructure Management is installed and running.
Identify problematic devices
From the Devices page (Monitoring > Devices) in the TrueSight console, you can see a high-level, real-time view of all your devices. You can view devices by severity (critical, major, minor, warning, information) or view them by the status (open, acknowledged, assigned, blackout, closed).
If you have configured groups, you can go to the Groups page (Monitoring > Groups) and view the same information as the Devices page.
Identify critical events
From the Events page (Monitoring > Events) in the TrueSight console, you can see a high-level, real-time view of all events generated in your monitored infrastructure. You can view events by severity (critical, major, minor, warning, information, OK, unknown) or view them by the status (open, acknowledged, assigned, blackout, closed).
Diagnose an infrastructure problem
Select an event to drill-down into information that is related to that event:
- Probable cause analysis: Analyze data and view the relevant events automatically using probable cause analysis
- Root cause analysis: While analyzing events on the TrueSight console, you can cross-launch into BMC TrueSight IT Data Analytics to perform root-cause analysis
Log in or register to comment.