Analyzing costs by server
Use the By Server page to get a quick summary of the costs per server and to understand and analyze the cost details for a specific server. The By Server page displays the monthly costs per server for the public cloud platforms, Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Azure, and for your on-premises infrastructure. You can drill down into a server to view details of the associated cost.
From the By Server page, you can achieve the following goals:
- Identify and analyze the servers with high costs.
- Identify the servers with high CPU, memory, or disk utilization.
- Analyze and investigate the cost of a specific server.
- View and compare the breakup of the daily costs of a server.
- View detailed bill (bill line items) for a server.
- Initiate the simulation of migration of servers.
To access the By Server page, in the navigation pane of the TrueSight console , select Cloud Cost Control and click the By Server tab.
The By Server page displays the monthly costs per server with the most expensive server listed first. By default, the costs for the current month are displayed.
To analyze costs by server
Access the By Server page: In the navigation pane of the TrueSight console , select Cloud Cost Control and click the By Server tab.
The By Server page is displayed that shows the costs and other details of all the servers. The most expensive server is listed first.
View a quick cost summary of all the servers
Review the following server details:
Column Description Associated metric Server Name of the server. To view cost details of a server, click the name. The Server Cost Details page is displayed. Not applicable Cost [$] Monthly cost of the server. Not applicable System Type System type used for the server. For example, Virtual machine - VMware (for On-premises) and Virtual machine - AWS (for AWS). Not applicable Instance Type
A specification that defines the resources (CPU, memory, and storage) for an instance. For example. m1.small, m1.large.
Not applicable Operating System Operating system installed on the server. OS_TYPE #CPU Total number of CPU cores that are assigned to the server. CPU_NUM CPU Util [%]
95th percentile value of CPU capacity that is utilized by the server.
This value enables you to determine whether the server is optimally utilizing the assigned CPU or not.
CPU_UTIL Memory [GB] Total amount of memory allocated to the server. TOTAL_REAL_MEM Memory Util [%]
- For instrumented server: 95th percentile value of real memory utilization of the server, excluding the memory assigned to file system cache.
- For non-instrumented server: 95th percentile value of memory utilization.
This value enables you to determine whether the server is optimally utilizing the assigned memory or not.
- For instrumented server: MEM_REAL_UTIL
- For non-instrumented server: MEM_UTIL
- For instrumented server: Total amount of storage that is allocated to the file system of the server.
- For non-instrumented server: If available, total amount of storage that is allocated to the server. Else, the total amount of storage that is allocated to the file system of the server.
For AWS, the value is a sum of all the EBS volumes that are attached to the server and the instance storage (if available).
- For instrumented server: If available, TOTAL_FS_SIZE, else TOTAL_LV_SIZE
- For non-instrumented server: If available, TOTAL_DSTORE_SIZE, else TOTAL_FS_SIZE
For AWS: DISK_SIZE + SUM(ST_VOLUME_SIZE) of attached volumes
Disk Util [%]
- For instrumented server: 95th percentile value of the total storage space that is utilized by the file system.
- For non-instrumented server: 95th percentile value of the total storage utilized by the server, if the corresponding disk size is available. Else, the total amount of storage that the file system of the server utilizes.
This value enables you to determine whether the server is optimally utilizing the assigned disk capacity or not.
- For instrumented server: TOTAL_FS_UTIL
- For non-instrumented server: If available, TOTAL_DSTORE_UTIL, else TOTAL_FS_UTIL
Resource id Unique identifier of a server. Not applicable Instrumented Displays True when the server has an Agent installed on it for data collection. Otherwise, displays False. Not applicable
- To view the cost for a specific provider only or for a specific month, use the global filters:
1. Cloud Provider quick filter: Click a cloud provider button to show or hide the provider's data on the page.
2. Monthly filter: Click the monthly filter to select a specific month for which you want to view the data.
Info: By default, the page displays data for the current month and for all available cloud providers. The options that you select in the global filters (Cloud Provider quick filter, Monthly filter) apply to all the page elements (table and charts).
To view costs for a specific domain only, select the required domain from the domain filter. For example, if all servers located in any particular region are grouped under a domain, you can use the domain filter to view cost details of all servers specific to that domain.For more information, see
To view costs of servers that are associated with a specific tag, select the required tag from the tag filter.For more information, see
Drill down into a server for cost details
On the By Server page, click the name of the server that you want to investigate and view details for.
The Server Cost Details page opens that shows cost and other details for the selected server such as the average monthly, the normalized instance hours, provider, instance type, region, operating system, and number of CPU, memory, and disk, and their utilization.
The page also displays the following chart:
Chart Description Daily Costs A stacked area graph that enables you to compare the daily usage costs based on operations performed on the server. For example:
- Compute Capacity: Cost for the compute capacity utilized.
- Data transfer through public IP: Cost for the volume of data transferred by the server using the public IP.
- Interzone data transfer: Cost for the volume of data transferred by the server in the zone.
The cost details are based on the selected month. If you change the month and year, the cost data changes accordingly.
To view and analyze the bill line-item details, click the Bill Details tab.
The Bill Details page is displayed that provides a line-by-line detailed bill of the costs associated with the selected server:
Column Description Resource Name of the selected server. Cost [$] Cost of the server for a specific operation as indicated by the associated date stamp. Date Date when the server is used for the associated operation. Resource Type Type of the server used. For example, VM - VMware (for on-premises) and VM - AWS (for AWS). Instance Type Operation Activity or operation for which the selected server is used. Region Region where the selected server is located. Account Identifier
A unique identifier assigned to the account that owns the resource. This identifier is assigned by the cloud provider.
In case of AWS, it is the 12-digit account ID. For Azure, it is the subscription ID.
Description Specific cost description of how much of the total cost is used by an instance type.
- To simulate the migration of all or a subset of servers to the public cloud, click Simulate Cloud Migration. For more information, see Estimating the cost of migrating servers to the public cloud.
Video - Viewing on-premises and public cloud virtual machines and their resource utilization and costs
The following video (4:56) provides a view of the virtual machines in the on-premises and public cloud environments along with their resource utilization and costs.