Installing PATROL Agents
This topic provides instructions for installing PATROL Agents.
Installing a PATROL Agent using the API Key
Step 1: Creating deployable packages
On the Administration > Repository > Deployable Packages tab, click Create, and do the following:
Select the operating system and platform for which you want to create a package. The list of platforms changes according to the operating system that you select.
Select one of the following PATROL Agent components, and select a version:
- PATROL Agent for Windows
- PATROL Agent for Unix
If you want to install any monitoring solutions along with the PATROL Agent, select the required monitoring solutions.
Specify the PATROL Agent installation directory:
- Proceed with the default installation directory.
- Enter a different directory for installation.
Leave the field blank and proceed with the installation.
When you leave the field blank, the correct directory is automatically selected through the BMC_BASE variable.
Specify the PATROL 3.x product directory, and click Next.
Follow the instructions in the Important Instructions section of the wizard.
Enter the PATROL Agent account credentials.
- Enter the PATROL Agent port number.
Choose to restart the PATROL agent automatically or manually, and click Next.
If you have not provided the root credentials, do not choose to restart the PATROL Agent automatically during package creation.
- Specify the streaming endpoint details. This will be used for automatic registration of the PATROL Agent with BMC Helix Operations Management. Enter the details in the following format:
https:<IP address or FQDN of the load balancer>:<port_no>
Enter a comma-separated list of tags for associating PATROL Agents to monitoring policies.
PATROL Agents use the specified tags to get configuration details from BMC Helix Operations Management. Enter the tag name in the following format:
Note: If the description contains a blank space, enclose it within double quotes.
For example, WinOS:"Windows OS Monitoring"
Choose if you want to manage the PATROL Agent configuration via a monitoring policy, and click Next.
Configure the firewall settings.
You can choose to automatically add the components to the firewall exception list.
Ensure that you enable the outbound connection to the default port 443 for HTTPS communication between PATROL Agent and BMC Helix Operations Management.
Review the package details.
Enter a name and an optional description for the package.
The description is displayed when the packages are listed in the Deployable Packages tab.
Select the package file format.
Save the deployable package.
Select one of the following:
- Save: Save the package for future installation on the current host or other hosts.
- Save and Download: Save and download the package and note the downloaded package location. You will need the downloaded package location details while deploying the package.
- Close: Cancel the package creation and go back to the Administration > Repository page.
Step 2: Downloading deployable packages
On the Administration > Repository > Deployable Packages tab, do the following:
- Click the Download icon next to a package.
- From the package menu, select Download, and note the location. You will need this information while performing Step 3.
- On the Administration > Repository > Deployable Packages page, click Copy API Key and note the information. You will need this information while performing Step 3.
Step 3: Deploying packages
- Log in to the host computer on which you plan to install the PATROL Agent.
- Copy the API key that you saved in Step 2 to a temporary text file.
- Copy the package that you downloaded in Step 2 to a temporary directory.
- Extract the package. It is extracted to the <PA_EXTRACTED_PACKAGE>\bmc_products directory.
From the bmc_products directory, run the following command:
#Syntax RunSilentInstall.exe -apikey=<TOKEN> -proxyserver=<FQDN of the PATROL Agent forward proxy server>:<port> -proxyuser=<Proxy Username> -proxypasswd=<password for the proxy server> #Example 1 - Install with API key and forward proxy server option RunSilentInstall.exe -apikey=a1236789-123f-1d23-12d4-1234abc12345 -forwardProxyServer=proxyServer.bmc.com:3128 #Example 2 - Install with API key and forward proxy server options that include forward proxy credentials RunSilentInstall.exe -apikey=a1236789-123f-1d23-12d4-1234abc12345 -forwardProxyServer=http://proxyServer1.bmc.com:3128 -forwardProxyUser=user2 -forwardProxyPasswd=user456 #Example 3 - Install with API key and without forward proxy server options RunSilentInstall.exe -apikey=a1236789-123f-1d23-12d4-1234abc12345
PATROL Agents use the API key to encrypt message requests sent to BMC Helix Operations Management. You can set the API key in one of the following ways:
During the installation of PATROL Agents: As explained in the preceding example, provide the API key details when you run the
After the installation of PATROL Agents: You can update the API key after the installation. For details, see Support for HTTP communication.
PATROL Agent forward proxy server
You can set up a proxy server in your infrastructure environment so that PATROL Agents can communicate with BMC Helix Operations Management via the proxy server. Setting up a proxy server is optional.
You can configure the proxy server details in one of the following ways:
During the installation of PATROL Agents: As explained in the preceding example, provide the proxy server details, user name, and password when you run the
After the installation of PATROL Agents: You can configure the forward proxy server details in the PATROL Agent after the installation. For details, see Configuring PATROL Agents to support a forward proxy server.
Review the log file to check the installation status.
Installing the PATROL Agent using the Copy Install Script option
On the BMC Helix Operations Management console, on the Administration > Repository page, do the following:
- From the predefined or custom package Actions menu, select Copy Install Script.
Default predefined packages:
- (Microsoft Windows) Predefined_Package_For_Windows_x64
- (Linux) Predefined_Package_For_Linux_x64
- Log in to the host computer on which you want to deploy the package, and create a new PATROL Agent user.
- In the home directory of the new user, create a directory.
- Provide read/write/execution permission to the PATROL user for the directory.
- Paste and run the install script in this directory. For pre-defined packages, the default directory is:
(Microsoft Windows) <installation_directory>\BMC Software
- Provide the following information when prompted:
- (Linux) Root login name and password
- PATROL default account login name and password
- (Linux) In the directory that has read/write/execute permission for the PATROL user, paste and run the install script.
- (Microsoft Windows) Open the Windows PowerShell, paste and run the install script.
Log in or register to comment.