Using Port migration
This topic provides instructions on how to migrate the Ports configured on Internet Servers KM to the Port monitoring solution in Light Weight Protocols (LWP) KM. The Port monitoring is removed from the Internet Server (ISM) KM v9.0.40 and is introduced as a standalone solution in the Light Weight Protocols KM - Port monitoring solution.
Once the Migration process is completed, the KM configuration status parameter displays a detailed annotation message and generates an event. It also notifies the user on the migration completion and gives instructions on how to load the configuration into the Port monitoring solution.
Effects of migration
The section below provides the information about the effects of migration on your environment.
Effect of migration on configuration
The following changes takes place after the migration from Internet Server (ISM) to Light Weight Protocols (LWP) KM:
- Telnet port in ISM will be monitored as TCP port in LWP KM.
- Disable monitoring option in ISM KM is not available in LWP KM; however all the instances will be monitored in LWP KM.
- Content check criteria:
- Case sensitive match in ISM KM after migrating to LWP KM will be considered as case sensitive.
- Content check operation in ISM KM can be set to either match or do not match. However in LWP KM, there is only match criteria available.
- Evaluate Unix-style regular expressions option in ISM KM is not available in the LWP KM, match criteria will be used as a JAVA base Regular expression in LWP KM.
Effect of migration on attributes
The table below lists all the Port monitoring attributes that are affected by the migration:
Before migration (ISM)
|After migration (LWP)|
Response time for the monitored port
|Port response time|
Port monitor status
Content status for the monitored port
|Content match (An annotation will be displayed if the content match is not found.)|
Current down time for the monitored port
Description of errors generated in port monitor
Standard deviation of Response time for the monitored port
Text: Response content for the monitored port
Applying configuration to migrate Port monitoring
To apply the configuration to the LWP Port monitoring system, do the following:
- Enable the file based configuration (policy property name: Import devices from files) under LWP - Port monitoring solution.
- The migration process creates a new file by name ISMPortMigration_PORT_<AgentPort>.ChangeMe at
%PATROL_HOME%\PIM\Conf\ImportDevicesdirectory, it contains all the ports configured on the ISM KM.
- If you would like to monitor those ports using the LWP - Port monitoring solution, change the file name extension from .ChangeMe to .txt (you can change the file name as well, but make sure that the file extension is .txt).
- Once the file based configuration is enabled and the migration file name is changed, the LWP KM - Port monitoring solution will load the file into the monitoring system.
- PATROL Agent restart for this operation is not required.
- You may delete the migration file if you don't want to import it to the monitoring system where the DNS servers that are configured from the ISM KM exist.
- Once the migration file is created, it uses the same format which the DNS solution demands; you may modify the content of the file based on your requirements, any changes in the file gets synchronized automatically.
Migration happens only once when the LWP KM - DNS servers monitoring starts for the first time with ISM KM v9.0.40 installed.
- DNS instances that are configured from the ISM KM might contain spaces which are not allowed in the LWP KM - DNS monitoring; such characters will be replaced with an underscore (_).
Login credentials for the SSH ports configured in the ISM KM won't be published in the migration file due to the security issue; however you can use the following options to update them manually:
- The Port KM will take the credentials which were used to configure the SSH in the default configuration - Port monitoring solution and will use them for all the SSH ports which exist in the migration file.
- Insert the SSH login credential manually into the migration file: ISMPortMigration_PORT_< AgentPort>.txt (instructions can be found in the file %PATROL_HOME%PIM\Conf\ImportDevices\FileBaseConfiguration_Instructions.txt).
Once the migration file is created, it uses the same format which the port solution demands; you may modify the content of the file based on your requirements, any changes in the file gets updated automatically.
Migrating the Port monitoring from the older versions of ISM KM
To migrate ISM KM version (prior to 9.0.40) to LWP - Port monitoring solution, do the following:
- Insert the agent PCONFIG variable /PIM/ISMPortMigrationAllVersions and set it to true.
- Insert the agent PCONFIG variable /PIM/ISMPortMigrationDone and set it to false.
Upon inserting the above PCONFIG variables, you can migrate the ISM KM (prior to 9.0.40) to LWP - Port monitoring solution by following the Applying configuration to migrate Port monitoring instructions.