Using DNS servers migration
This topic provides instructions on how to migrate DNS servers configured on Internet Servers KM to the DNS servers monitoring solution in Light Weight Protocols (LWP) KM. The DNS servers monitoring is removed from the Internet Server (ISM) KM v9.0.40 and is introduced as a standalone solution in the Light Weight Protocols KM - DNS servers monitoring solution.
Once the Migration process is completed, the KM configuration status parameter displays a detailed annotation message and generates an event. It also notifies the user on the migration completion and gives instructions on how to load the configuration into the Port monitoring solution.
Effects of migration
The section below provides the information about the effects of migration on your environment.
Effect of migration on configuration
The following changes takes place after the migration from Internet Server (ISM) to Light Weight Protocols (LWP) KM:
- Content check criteria:
- Case sensitive match in ISM KM after migrating to LWP KM will be considered as case sensitive.
- Content check operation in ISM KM can be set to either match or do not match. However in LWP KM, there is only match criteria available.
- Evaluate Unix-style regular expressions option in ISM KM is not available in the LWP KM, match criteria will be used as a JAVA base Regular expression in LWP KM.
Effect of migration on attributes
The table below lists all the DNS monitoring attributes that are affected by the migration:
Before migration (ISM)
After migration (LWP)
Response time for the DNS record request
DNS response time
Status of DNS record request
Content check status of the DNS record request
|Content match (An annotation will be displayed if the content match is not found.)|
Text: Content of the DNS record request
Down time for the DNS record request
Standard deviation of response time for the DNS record requests
Applying configuration to migrate DNS servers monitoring
To apply the configuration to the LWP DNS servers monitoring system, do the following:
- Enable the file based configuration (policy property name: Import devices from files) under LWP - DNS servers monitoring solution.
- The migration process creates a new file by name ISMDNSMigration_PORT_<Port>.ChangeMe at
%PATROL_HOME%KDN\Conf\ImportDevicesdirectory, it contains all the DNS servers configured on the ISM KM.
- If you would like to monitor those DNS servers using the LWP - DNS servers monitoring solution, change the file name extension from .ChangeMe to .txt (you can change the file name as well, but make sure that the file extension is .txt).
- Once the file based configuration is enabled and the migration file name is changed, the LWP KM - DNS servers monitoring solution will load the file into the monitoring system.
- PATROL Agent restart for this operation is not required.
- You may delete the migration file if you don't want to import it to the monitoring system where the DNS servers that are configured from the ISM KM exist.
- Once the migration file is created, it uses the same format which the DNS solution demands; you may modify the content of the file based on your requirements, any changes in the file gets synchronized automatically.
Migration happens only once when the LWP KM - DNS servers monitoring starts for the first time with ISM KM v9.0.40 installed.
- DNS instances that are configured from the ISM KM might contain spaces which are not allowed in the LWP KM - DNS monitoring; such characters will be replaced with an underscore (_).
Once the migration file is created, it uses the same format which the DNS solution demands; you may modify the content of the file based on your requirements, any changes in the file gets updated automatically.
Migrating the DNS servers monitoring from the older versions of ISM KM
To migrate ISM KM version (prior to 9.0.40) to LWP - DNS monitoring solution, do the following:
- Insert the agent PCONFIG variable /KDN/ISMDNSMigrationAllVersions and set it to true.
- Insert the agent PCONFIG variable /KDN/ISMDNSMigrationDone and set it to false.
Upon inserting the above PCONFIG variables, you can migrate the ISM KM (prior to 9.0.40) to LWP - DNS monitoring solution by following the Applying configuration to migrate DNS monitoring instructions.