A Knowledge Module (KM) is a set of files from which a PATROL Agent receives information about resources running on a monitored computer. A KM file can contain the actual instructions for monitoring objects or simply a list of KMs to load. KMs are loaded by a PATROL Agent and TrueSight console or BMC Helix Operations Management.
KMs provide information about the way monitored computers are represented in the product, about the following:
- Discovery of application instances and the way they are represented
- The attributes that are run under those applications
- The options available on object pop-up menus
A KM file contains the source code for a PATROL application.
BMC PATROL for Windows Servers provides the following key features:
- Centralized event filtering and notification
- Ability to deploy configuration settings
- Built-in recovery actions
- Predefined rulesets for common server types
- Virtualization with Hyper-V
- Logical processors of the system
- Partitions of the system
Virtual processors of the partition
Virtual hard disks of a partition
The PATROL for Microsoft Windows Servers documentation helps new and experienced users implement or use this product. Based on your role, the following sections of the documentation are recommended.
|New users||Getting started|
|IT Operations user|
All users should view and set up a watch on the Release notes and notices for the latest product information and documentation updates.
When working in the product, click the Help icons to directly link to the topic pertaining to your task.
The Infrastructure Management–PATROL Repository (Repository) comprises two sets of Monitoring Solutions and KMs, known as the Base and Extended repositories.
- The Base repository contains approximately a dozen components, including the operating system KMs.
- The Extended repository contains approximately five dozen components, including the database KMs.
Every three or four months, several components of the Repository are enhanced or added.
The PATROL for Microsoft Windows Servers product is a component of the Base repository.
Related product documentation
When working with the PATROL for Microsoft Windows Servers KM, you might also need to refer to the following documentation:
Parameter Reference Database
The contains reports of the parameters available from the KMs and solutions in the extensive Knowledge Module (KM) library. You can access these reports in CSV, PDF, or HTML format.
You can quickly filter the list of products by typing any portion of the product name in the filter box, as shown in the following figure.