Installing in a BMC PATROL environment
This section provides the information that you need to install PATROL VMware vSphere on BMC PATROL Consoles. You can install the KM using the typical installation method, or you can perform remote or multiple installations by using the Distribution Server. In a typical installation you install the product from a CD or CD image. The Distribution Server enables you to perform remote installations or uninstallations of BMC distributed systems products across multiple systems from a central location.
With the Distribution Server, you can:
- Install, uninstall, upgrade, and reinstall products on remote systems from one central location
- Create collections of products and system groups to distribute multiple products to multiple systems in one distribution
- Schedule a distribution for a specific date and time
- Maintain multiple product versions to be distributed
- View reports to check distribution status, gather distribution data, and diagnose problems
First, install in a test environment on a limited number of computers and test the installation thoroughly, and then install in your production environment.
By default, a typical installation configures the PATROL Agent to connect through port 3181.
After installation, proceed to Configuring after installation for information about configuring BMC PATROL for VMware vSphere.
The following topics describe the methods that you can use to install BMC PATROL for VMware vSphere.