Configuring a monitor
When you create or edit a policy, you can add and configure monitor types for the compatible BMC PATROL monitoring solutions that are located in the Deployable Package Repository. For a list of monitoring solutions that you can configure through Central Monitoring Administration, see List of Monitoring Solutions and KMs in BMC ProactiveNet Performance Management.
For the configuration details specific to a monitor type, see the monitor documentation. To configure custom monitoring solutions through Central Monitoring Administration, ensure the solution is structured correctly; for details, see Building a PATROL Knowledge Module Developers Guide.
Before you begin
If you have not done so already, perform the steps provided under the following sections:
Configuring monitoring profiles
To configure a monitoring profile and the associated monitor types, proceed as follows:
On the Monitor Configuration page, click Addto add a new monitor configuration, or select an existing monitor configuration and click Edit to update it.
On the Add Monitor Types dialog box, provide the following details.
Field Instructions Solution Select VMware vSphere Version Select 4.0.00 if it is not already selected. Monitoring Profile
Select one the following monitoring profile that you want to configure:
Each monitoring profile is associated with a group of monitor types. If a profile has monitor types that require you to enter information, they are listed in the Monitor Type list, and you can configure them. If the profile has no monitor types that require input, all the monitor types are enabled by default and the Monitor Type list is disabled. To view all the monitor types that belong to a selected profile, click the Click to view Monitor Types option.
The monitor types that belong to a profile are pre-determined. You cannot add or remove monitor types from a profile.
Select the monitor type that you want to configure and provide the configuration details.
By default, this value is set to All to enable default monitoring for all the associated monitor types and avoid the need for providing manual inputs. In addition to default monitoring, you can manually configure a monitor type available in this list. The value for this field depends on the monitoring profile that you select.
The Monitor Type list can have the following status:
- Disabled - it means that none of the monitor types in the profile require you to enter information. These monitor types are automatically enabled and start monitoring when the policy is applied.
- Enabled - choose either All or any of the monitor types listed:
- All - all the monitor types will have default values.
- Monitor types other than All - you have to configure these monitor types.
If you select a monitor type other than All, perform the following tasks:
- Enter the configuration values for the monitor type.
- If a monitor type groups a set of entries into a list, perform one of the following actions:
- To add a set of entries to the list, specify the configuration values, and click Add to List.
- To modify a set of entries in the list, in the List box, select an entry, modify the configuration values, and click Modify Selection.
- To remove a set of entries from the list, in the List box, select an entry, and click Remove from List.
Note: The fields vary depending on the monitor type that you select. For documentation or information about these fields click the Help icon next to the Monitor Type list. The online documentation for that monitor type is displayed.
- To continue configuration, perform one or more of the following actions:
- To add the configuration details for the monitor type, click Add.
To return the settings for the selected monitor type to default values, click Reset.
The values in the current window are reset. Ensure that you add the configuration details for the monitor type.
Reset works only for the monitor types that require user inputs. You cannot reset other options you selected on the Add Monitor Type screen.
- To continue adding configuration details, select a different monitor type, version, profile, or solution.
- When you finish configuration, click Close.
After you save or update a policy, the new monitor type configurations are pushed to the selected BMC PATROL Agents.
To delete a monitor type configuration
- On the Monitor Configuration page, in the Define Monitor Types and Attributes table, perform one of the following tasks.
- To delete all the monitor type configuration based on a solution name and all its version, in the Solution column, select a value.
- To delete all the monitor type configuration based on a version of a monitoring solution and its monitor types, in the Version column, select a value.
- To delete all the monitor type configuration based on a monitoring profile, in the Monitoring Profile column, select a value.
- To delete all the monitor type configuration based on a monitor type, in the Monitor Type column, select a value.
- Click Delete .
- In the Delete Confirmation dialog box, click Yes.
- Click Close.
After you delete a monitor type configuration and save the policy, the deleted monitor type configuration is removed from the selected BMC PATROL Agents.