Support for BMC ProactiveNet Central Monitoring Administration
BMC PATROL for VMware vSphere version 4.0.00 is BMC ProactiveNet Central Monitoring Administration (CMA) enabled. The VMware vSphere monitor type can be configured through CMA.
For more information, see Configuring in a BMC ProactiveNet Performance Management environment.
New Application classes and parameters
The following table lists the new application classes and parameters available in BMC PATROL for VMware vSphere v4.0.00:
New Menu commands
The following table lists the new menu commands introduced in BMC PATROL for VMware vSphere v4.0.00:
|Application class||Menu command|
|VSM_CLUSTER||TOP VMs (VSM_Cluster)|
|VSM_HOST||TOP VMs (VSM_HOST)|
|VSM_DATASTORE||TOP VMs (VSM_DATASTORE)|
|VSM_RESOURCE_POOL||TOP VMs (VSM_RESOURCE_POOL)|
Downloading the installation utility and the product
This section provides information for downloading BMC PATROL for VMware vSphere 4.0 from the BMC Electronic Product Distribution (EPD) website.
If you have previously downloaded other BMC products, you might have an older version of the installation utility on your hard drive. BMC recommends that you use the latest version of Installation Utility, BMC Installation Utility 9.5.00. To download the latest version of the installation utility for this service pack, perform the following steps.
Create a directory in which to place the downloaded files.
On Microsoft Windows systems, ensure that the directory is only one level into the directory structure. The EPD package creates a directory in the temporary directory when you extract the files, and the directory that contains the installation image must not be in a directory deeper than two levels into the directory structure.
- Go to http://www.bmc.com/available/epd.html.
- At the logon prompt, enter your user ID and password, and click Submit.
- On the Export Compliance and Access Terms page, provide the required information, agree to the terms of the agreements, and click Continue.
- If you are accessing this site for the first time, create an EPD profile to specify the languages and platforms that you want to see, per the EPD site help; otherwise, skip to step 6.
- Verify that the correct profile is displayed for your download purpose, and select the Licensed Products tab.
- Expand BMC Performance Manager for Virtual Servers to show the available versions.
- Expand BMC Performance Manager for Virtual Servers 4.0.00 to show the available products/components.
- Expand BMC PATROL for VMware vSphere 4.0.00 to download the service pack and BMC PATROL Installation Utility 9.5.00 to download the installation utility for the appropriate platform.
Based on the operating system, select the check boxes next to the files and documents that you want to download. The download page displays the following links:
Link title Actual file name BMC PATROL Version 4.0.00 for Vmware vSphere - Windows Only PATROL_for_VMware_vSphere_40.zip BMC PATROL Version 4.0.00 for Vmware vSphere - All UNIX/LINUX PATROL_for_VMware_vSphere_40.tar BMC PATROL Installation Utility Version 9.5.00 - Windows Only ins_WINDOWS_9500.zip BMC PATROL Installation Utility Version 9.5.00 - All UNIX/LINUX ins_ALL_9500.tar
- To download the selected files, click Download (FTP) or Download Manager:
- Download (FTP) places the selected items in an FTP directory, and the credentials and FTP instructions are sent to you in an email message.
- Download Manager enables you to download multiple files consecutively and to resume an interrupted download.
This method requires a one-time installation of the Akamai NetSession client program on the target computer and is usually the faster and more reliable way to transfer files. A checksum operation is used to verify file integrity automatically.