PATROL for Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization architecture
PATROL for Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization enables you to monitor the Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization environment and resources. It also enables you to determine how to effectively use these resources. A typical architecture for PATROL for Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization is as follows:
Data collection details
- PATROL for Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization starts a Java process that connects to the Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization environment by using the ovirt java SDK API.
- During the first inventory poll, the Java process collects all the managed entities of Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization, such as data centers, clusters, storage domains, hosts, virtual machines (VMs), and their properties.
- In subsequent inventory polls, it looks for updates in the Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization inventory and collects only those inventory details which are changed since last collection. The default inventory poll interval is 1 minute, and it is configurable.
- After the first inventory poll is complete, the Java collector starts collecting performance data for entities, such as clusters, hosts, and VMs. The default performance poll interval is 5 minutes, and it is configurable.
- The Java processes are persistent processes and communicate with BMC PATROL Agent over a channel.
PATROL for Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization collector details
The following table lists different BMC PATROL for Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization collectors and explains how they work:
|Collectors (Collection interval)||Explanation|
Creates and deletes all the Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization entities and collecting their configuration parameters
migrationCollector (10 mins)
Collects the data for the number of migrations of VMs happening inside a cluster
|Runs every 5 minutes (default) and is responsible for collecting the performance data of entities, such as hosts, VMs, and clusters|
Opens and manages the channel to the external Java process
|Reads the data from the external Java process and sets it in the PATROL Agent|
|Creates and manages instances of the REV_Manager application class|