Installing using Distribution Server
This topic describes how to use the Distribution Server to perform a remote installation of the KM from a central location.
Installing with the Distribution Server
To set up products
- Import components into the Distribution Server repository on the Components tab of the Distribution Manager.
- Arrange components in collections on the Collections tab of the Distribution Manager.
- Configure the collections on the Configurations tab of the Distribution Manager.
To set up systems
- Create accounts in the operating system of the computers to which you want to distribute PATROL for AIX.
- Add accounts and create profiles for the systems on the Systems tab of the Distribution Manager.
- Add the systems and install the Distribution Client on the Systems tab of the Distribution Manager.
- Arrange systems in system groups on the Systems tab of the Distribution Manager.
To distribute products
- Distribute configurations of collections to system groups on the Distributions tab of the Distribution Manager.
- Run reports to review distributions on the Reports tab of the Distribution Manager.
For detailed instructions about how to perform remote installations with the Distribution Server, see the Distribution Server Getting Started Guide.
Installing the product by using the Distribution Server
You can install PATROL for AIX locally on a single computer, or you can create an installable image by using the Distribution Server. An installable image is a product image that you can use to install products to multiple computers. With an installable image, you can create one product image with one pass through the installation utility and then use that image to install to remote computers in your environment.
The details of how to install a product across an enterprise to multiple computers by using the Distribution Server are beyond the scope of this space. However, this section describes how to import the PATROL for AIX product into the Distribution Server. It also provides a high-level overview of the enterprise installation process.
Importing a CD or customized installation package into the Distribution Server
This task describes how to import components into the Distribution Server for deployment to multiple locations.
Before you begin
- Ensure that the installation packages that resulted from installing the product by using the Distribution Server are accessible to the Distribution Server.
- Ensure that you are using version 7.8.20 of the Distribution Server, version 7.8.12 of the Distribution Client, and have applied any available patches.
To import components in to the Distribution Server
- Start the Distribution Server and connect to it.
- In the Distribution Server tab area, click the Components tab.
- In the list area, click Import.
- Navigate to the location where the components are located and select the directory that contains the Products directory (do not select the Products directory itself), and click Next.
If the components are not accessible on a local drive, you can specify a path on the network.
- Select the check boxes for the components that you want to import, and click OK.
- Click Import to import the selected components.