Installing PATROL for AIX on AIX VIOS
Use the following steps when installing PATROL for AIX on an AIX Virtual I/O Server (VIOS).
To Create a User Account
- Log on as padmin.
padmin is a default account for the prime administrator on an AIX VIOS. This account is present in the system by default.
- Create a user account for installation if it does not already exist (for example, patrol). Use the following command to create a user ID on the AIX VIOS:
- Ensure that you have set the default logon shell as /usr/bin/ksh. You can do this manually by editing the /etc/passwd file in the root environment by executing the following command:
Thedefault logon shell is the restricted K shell (rksh). However, using this logon shell as a user, you cannot run the following commands:
To Install AIX on a VIOS
- Log on as a user (for example, patrol).
- Copy the image files by using File Transfer Protocol (FTP), or access the image files by mounting the remote share or media (CD or DVD). You can use the mount commands to mount the NFS directories.
- If you have downloaded the solution from the BMC Electronic Product Distribution (EPD) website, navigate to the bmc_products directory.
- Start the installation by using the following command:
RunSilentinstall.sh -serveronly -timeout 500
- In the Welcome to the Installation Utility window, click Next.
- In the Review License Agreement window, review the license agreement, select Accept, and click Next to continue.
- In the Select Installation Option window, select one of the following options:
- To install locally now, select I want to install products on this computer now and click Next to continue.
- To create an installable image that you can install locally and remotely later, select Create an image to be installed later, enter the directory where you want to store the installation image, and click Next to continue.
- In the Select System Roles window, select the roles to indicate the components that you want to install, and click Next.
- In the Select Products and Components to Install window, expand PATROL for AIX, select the necessary components, and click Next.
- In the Provide the System Root (or root privileged via sudo) Account Properties window, keep the system root account properties empty, and click Next.
- In the Provide the PATROL Default Account Properties window, enter the PATROL default account logon name, and click Next.
- In the Review Selections and Start Install window, review the selections. To make changes, click Back ; to start the installation, click Start Install. A status window opens that contains current messages, current milestones, and percentage complete. At 100% completion, the following message is displayed:
Because the VIOS does not have a root account for logon, the installation appears to fail. However, you can ignore this message.
To Perform the Post-installation Steps
- Log on as padmin.
- Change the directory to Patrol3 in the PATROL installation directory.
- Run the following command:
This command places you into the OEM software installation and setup environment. In this environment, you can install and set up the OEM software from installation instructions provided with each software package. This command is similar to
su- on other UNIX systems.
- Execute the following scripts sequentially:
- Open the Home directory of the PATROL default account
- In Home directory, open the BMCINSTALL folder. This folder contains PATROL installation log files. Search for folder that was created after your recent KM installation process. The folder format is similar to <hostname>-<pid>-<date>
- This folder will contain a file named <hostname>-<pid>.log_rootscripts. This file has all the commands that you need to run using root.
- Grant execute permissions to the <hostname>-<pid>.log_rootscripts file and run the file to complete the installation.
To Run the PATROL Agent
- Log on as a user (for example, patrol ).
- Ensure /bin and /usr/bin are added to the path environment variable.
- Start the PATROL Agent.
Was this page helpful? Yes No Submitting... Thank you