Scheduling reports for automatic distribution
Reports are the PDF, CSV or XLS snapshots of dashboards. As a tenant administrator or editor, set up a schedule to send reports to external or internal email addresses. On the BMC Helix Dashboards home page, use the Scheduled Reports > Reports page to create report schedules.
By default, each licensed account can configure up to 1000 schedules per tenant. However, the trial accounts can only configure up to 100 schedules per tenant.
The default format for dashboard reports is PDF, but you can also generate reports in CSV or XLS formats.
- In the PDF report, you will see a snapshot of the dashboard as it appears in the portal.
- You can use the CSV format only for table-type panels in a dashboard. If a dashboard contains multiple panels with only a few table-type panels amongst them, the CSV report is created only for the table-type panels in the dashboard. If a dashboard contains no table-type panels, the CSV report is not created. In this case, the scheduled email is sent without the report attachment. To avoid this scenario, send a test email while scheduling the report to ensure that the recipients receive the attachment.
- You can use the XLS format for all types of dashboard panels, such as table-type, charts, and so on. Each dashboard panel is exported as a separate tab in the XLS report.
For example, Susan is a Service Desk Manager in an organization that provides enterprise monitoring software. Susan's responsibilities include sending out incident assignment reports to the internal and external stakeholders of their software. Her company uses BMC Helix Dashboards to create dashboards that provide insight about all performance parameters of their software. Susan uses the report scheduling feature of BMC Helix Dashboards to send the dashboard reports to all stakeholders on a schedule. With this feature, Susan can perform the following tasks:
Create a PDF, CSV or XLS report of her dashboards.
- Create a schedule for the report to be sent to the stakeholders.
- Add or update the list of the stakeholders who would receive the report.
- Limit the number of recipients of scheduled reports.
Susan can also send a test email to a few recipients to verify that the report is sent correctly.
To schedule reports through email
Refer to the following video (5.12) to see how you can schedule reports: