Installation roadmap for continuous compliance for servers
Click here to create a PDF of this topic.
Compliance Automation. This topic provides the following information:This topic provides a high-level description of the installation tasks required to implement the BMC Continuous Compliance for Servers solution, part of
Step 1: Ensure required products are installed and operational
You do not have to install the products in any specific sequence, with the exception of the BMC BladeLogic Atrium Integration, which must be installed last.
|Required for use case|
What to install
|BMC Remedy AR System||9.0|
While running the BMC Remedy AR Sytem installer, choose the following components:
See Installing BMC Remedy AR System for the installation instructions.
BMC Atrium Core
Install all of the following BMC Atrium core components:
|BMC Atrium Integrator||9.0||See Installing Atrium Integrator for installation instructions.|
BMC Remedy IT Service Management (ITSM) Suite
Install BMC Remedy ITSM Change Management and BMC Remedy ITSM Incident Management. For information about installing these products, see the Installing BMC Remedy ITSM topic in the BMC Remedy IT Service Management Suite documentation.
ITSM artifact installation
To install the following preconfigured artifacts that are required for the solution, use the BMC Atrium Orchestrator Content installer:
See Artifact and configuration reference for Continuous Compliance for Server Automation for more information on BMC Remedy ITSM and BMC Atrium Orchestrator artifacts installed with with the solution.
BMC Remedy ITSM version 8.0.00 requirements
If you are using BMC Remedy ITSM version 8.0.00, you must make the following change to the default configuration to use the solution:
|BMC Atrium Single Sign-On||9.0|
See Installing BMC Remedy Single Sign-On for the installation instructions.
Note: The Access Manager component in version 7.6.03 of BMC Atrium Orchestrator Platform is replaced by BMC Atrium Single Sign-On from version 7.7 and later.
BMC Atrium Orchestrator Platform
7.7.02, 7.6.03, 7.8.00
All of the continuous compliance solutions (database, network, and server) require the BMC Atrium Orchestrator platform components to install content later.
Install the following components:
For instructions about installing BMC Atrium Orchestrator platform and core components, see Installing in the BMC Atrium Orchestrator Platform documentation.
The BMC Atrium Orchestrator platform installation program enables you to install and configure the BMC Atrium Orchestrator repository, BMC Atrium Orchestrator CDP, BMC Atrium Orchestrator Operator Control Panel, and graphing server components. The platform installation program allows you to install components in a pre-existing web server environment or in a new web server. Unless you are upgrading a previously-installed version, BMC recommends that you install the CDP component on a new web server environment to ensure good performance.
When installing BMC Atrium Orchestrator for any of the continuous compliance solutions, ensure that you do not have adapters with the same name enabled on multiple peers. For example, do not have an adapter called "File Adapter" on both the CDP and an activity peer (AP) or a lightweight activity peer (LAP).
|BMC Atrium Orchestrator Content||20.16.01|
Before you can install the BMC Atrium Orchestrator content components, install or upgrade to version 7.8.00 of the BMC Atrium Orchestrator platform CDP. Once installed, the CDP process must be running with Administrator rights.
Download and run the BMC Atrium Orchestrator Content Installer, to install the various modules, adapters, and artifacts required by the solution. For a list of adapters, modules, and run book to be installed, see Step 4: Install the BMC Atrium Orchestrator content components.
BMC Server Automation
BMC BladeLogic Decision Support for Server Automation
Install BMC BladeLogic Decision Support for Server Automation. This product is necessary to obtain data from BMC Server Automation, and is required for CI relationships that are created in the task ticket for the target servers.
BMC BladeLogic Atrium Integration
|Required for consistency of server naming between BMC Atrium CMDB, BMC Remedy ITSM and BMC Server Automation|
After installing all the products listed above, install BMC BladeLogic Atrium Integration.
Before you can install BMC BladeLogic Atrium Integration, you must run the extract, transform, and load (ETL) tool provided by BMC BladeLogic Decision Support for Server Automation.
Note: Before running the BMC BladeLogic Atrium Integration installer on a Linux system, ensure that the libstdc++.so.5 library is present. This library is required by the native RIK process used by BLAtrium installer.
For a complete list of dependency libraries, review the following topic in the BMC Remedy ITSM Suite 9.0 Deployment online documentation:
Step 2: Review known issues
Step 3: Create BMC Remedy ITSM user accounts
After the initial installation procedures have been completed, you must create BMC Remedy ITSM user accounts.
To create and update change and incident tickets in BMC Remedy ITSM, you must create a BMC Remedy user account. The account:
- Is used to manage change and incident tickets
- Must have permission to create, modify, and delete change, task, and incident records
- Must be dedicated to the BMC Atrium Orchestrator, and not used by other users or applications
- Must have a logon ID of orchestrationuser
To perform this procedure, you must logon with a role that includes the following permissions:
- BMC Remedy Administrator
- Infrastructure Change Configuration
- Infrastructure Change Master
- Incident Configuration
- Incident Master
- Task Administrator
- Task Application Configuration
- Config Categorization Admin
- Config Group Mapping Admin
To create a BMC Remedy user account for the solution, complete the following steps:
- Log in to the BMC Remedy ITSM system with administrative privileges.
- From the IT Home page, click Application Administration Console.
- Click Standard Configuration tab.
- From the Configuration for company list, select your company.
- Select People > Create.
Complete the fields on the User Account Creation (People) window as shown in the following table:
User account creation (People) window fields
Enter Atrium as the first name for the user account.
Enter Orchestrator as the last name for the user account.
Select a client type.
Select Standard. For VIP, select No.
Select Yes. Selecting Yes displays the Support Groups tab. Select the Change Management group that your incident and change templates use.
Assign a phone number.
Select the company for the OA-Management integration.
Select a site.
Click the Login/Access Details tab, and complete the fields listed in the following table.
Login/Access Details tab fields
Enter the account name. For example, enter orchestrationuser, or a solution-specific ID if you are implementing multiple solutions (for example, ccnuser for Continuous Compliance for Networks).
Enter a password to use later for configuring the AR Server Adaptor in BMC Atrium Orchestrator.
Full Text License Type
Select Unrestricted Access.
- Click Save.
- Select Update Permission Groups.
- In the Permission Group window, add the following permission groups with their associated License Type. The License Type must be set to Fixed, where applicable.
- Incident Master
- Incident Config
- Infrastructure Change Master
- Task Manager
- Infrastructure Change Config
- Config Categorization Admin
Config Group Mapping Admin
Adding the Incident Master permission group automatically adds Asset Viewer permission, which is a required permission.
Click Close and click Save.
Step 4: Install the BMC Atrium Orchestrator content components
The BMC Atrium Orchestrator content installation program automates the installation of the adapters, modules, run books, BMC Remedy AR artifacts, and BMC Remedy ITSM templates that are required by the BMC Continuous Compliance for Server Automation solution.
List of items installed by the content installation program
The following section describes the artifacts that are installed by the BMC Atrium Orchestrator content installation program. For the BMC Continuous Compliance for Server Automation solution, the BMC Atrium Orchestrator content installation program installs the components shown in the following table.
The following artifacts are installed by the BMC Atrium Orchestrator content installation program.
Task management modules
To download the content installation program
The BMC Atrium Orchestrator content installation program is available for download from the BMC Electronic Product Distribution (EPD) website at http://webapps.bmc.com/epd. The secure BMC customer support website requires that you enter the username and password you received when you purchased the product.
When downloading the content installation files, verify that you download the right installation program for your environment.
Windows installation program for BMC Atrium Orchestrator content
Red Hat Linux and Sun Solaris installation program for BMC Atrium Orchestrator content
To install the content
Before you install the solution content:
- Check the Customer Support website for updated information about this version. Flashes, technical bulletins, and resolutions on the site contain details about any fixes that were issued for this version after its release.
- You must have installed version 7.8.00, and BMC Atrium Single-Single On and the repository must be running.
- The computer from which you run the installation program must have network access to the repository computer.
After you download the BMC Atrium Orchestrator content installation file, follow the installation instructions specific to your operating system platform.
The BMC Atrium Orchestrator content installation program installs all of the dependent adapters and modules. It also verifies that you have the correct versions of BMC Remedy AR System, BMC Remedy ITSM, and BMC Atrium CMDB installed, and prompts you for the ITSM server configuration parameters and ITSM template fields where applicable. The BMC Atrium Orchestrator content installation program presents two installation paths from which you can choose. When installing BMC Atrium Orchestrator content for use with a solution, select the BSM Solutions installation path, which pre-selects the content components required for your solution.
When running the content installation program, you may see the following during component selection:
- A pre-selected and grayed-out component indicates that the installation program found an existing version of the adapter or module required for the solution on your system.
- A pre-selected component that is not grayed-out indicates that the installation program found an existing version of the adapter or module on your system. You can choose not to install that component during the solution installation by clearing the check box, because it is not required for the solution. The content installation program proceeds with the installation, and installs the latest version of the selected components.
To install the BMC Atrium Orchestrator content for BSM Solutions:
- Run the BMC Atrium Orchestrator content installation file.
- On the Welcome panel, click Next.
- On the License Agreement panel, agree to the terms of the license and click Next.
- On the Directory Selection panel, click Next to accept the default installation path, or click Browse to select a different location and click Next.
- On the Installation Type panel, select BSM Solutions, and click Next.
On the Repository Communications Settings panel, enter the repository settings, and click Next:
The following table shows the default values. Enter the values that match your repository settings.
Web Server Protocol
http or https
Host Name or IP Address
Fully qualified domain name of the host where the repository is installed
Web Server Port Number
HTTP port number on the computer where the repository is installed
- On the Solution feature selection panel, select BMC Continuous Compliance for Server Automation, and then click Next. The installation program pre-selects the required base and BMC application adapters on the Adapter feature selection panel.
- On the Adapter feature selection panel, click Next to accept the defaults. The installation program pre-selects the required operations actions (OA) management modules on the Module feature selection panel.
On the Module feature selection panel, click Next.
The Remedy Integration panel provides an option to install BMC Remedy ITSM artifacts. By default, the Install ITSM objects option is selected.
- Perform one of the following actions:
To continue installing the solution and install BMC Remedy ITSM artifacts, configure the Remedy integration settings.
Type the name or IP address of the computer running the Remedy ITSM service.
Select Port mapper or assign a specific port of the computer running the BMC Remedy ITSM service (if known).
Note: If the BMC Remedy AR server is configured to use a port mapper, the port number should be set to 0. If the BMC Remedy AR server is configured to use a specific port number to receive requests, assign that specific port number.
Type the Remedy ITSM administrator log on user name. For example, orchestrationuser.
Type the Remedy ITSM administrator log on password.
- To continue installing the solution without installing BMC Remedy ITSM artifacts, clear the Install ITSM objects option.
Using the fields on the ITSM data input panel, you can enter data to customize the ITSM templates for your environment. If you want to use the template default for a field, leave it blank.
On the ITSM data input panel, select the appropriate data in the fields where you want to customize the ITSM templates, and click Next.
Default company name assigned to a change or task request.
Default organization within the company assigned to a change or task request.
Default work group assigned to a change request. Assigning a change or task request to a support group allows any individual within the assigned support group to respond to the request.
- On the Installation preview panel, review the features to be installed, and then click Install.
- When the installation completes, click Done.
You can add BMC Atrium Orchestrator content components, such as application adapters or additional modules, by using the Custom feature set installation path. The custom installation allows you to install additional content components, but does not install or configure BMC Remedy ITSM artifacts.
A pre-selected component that is not grayed-out indicates that the content installation program located an existing version of the adapter or module on your system. You may choose not to install that component during the solution installation, because it is not required for the solution. The content installation program will proceed with the installation, and will install the latest version of the selected components.
Where to go from here
After you have installed the BMC Continuous Compliance for Server Automation solution, you must complete the configuration tasks in Configuration roadmap for continuous compliance for servers.
For an overview of the solution, see Enforce continuous compliance for servers.