Installing the dashboards
This topic describes how to use the GUI installation program to install the BMC Atrium Orchestrator Health and Value Dashboard component.
Before you begin
- You must have installed and completed any required configuration of the BMC Atrium Single Sign-On, the repository, and a configuration distribution peer (CDP).
- BMC Atrium Single Sign-On, the repository, and the primary CDP must be running.
- You must ensure that the target computer meets the minimum system requirements for your environment.
- You must have completed the Dashboard installation worksheet.
- You must be logged on as an administrator and have administrator rights on the computer on which you install the dashboard.
- On Microsoft Windows, you must have administrator permissions.
- On Linux and Solaris, any non-root user with write permission to the /opt/bmc directory can perform the installation.
On Linux and Solaris, the non-root user must also have permission to run the following commands:
dmidecode -t 1 | grep Manufacturer
- If you are installing on a Windows computer, ensure that Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is configured to recognize the installation program executable (Configuring DEP on Windows computers).
- If you installed the Health Dashboard version 1.0, you must have removed some files associated with that installation (To uninstall the Health Dashboard V1.0).
- You will need a JDBC driver to use the Value dashboard and have access to historical data in the Health dashboard. After installing the dashboards, see Where to go from here for the next steps, which include more details about this.
To uninstall the Health Dashboard V1.0
If you installed the Health Dashboard V1.0, you must manually remove some files associated with that installation prior to installing the dashboards in this release. The files that you need to install depend on whether you used an existing Tomcat server for the dashboard or you used the Tomcat server included in the dashboard download file.
In these instructions, AO_HOME represents the dashboard installation location.
- Make a backup of the two dashboard property files in the AO_HOME/tomcat/webapps/baodashboard/WEB-INF/classes directory: gridmap.properties and gridhosts.properties. Store them in a different location. You can reuse them when you configure the environment to use the dashboards after the installation.
- Before uninstalling the files, stop the Tomcat server.
From the command line, cd to the AO_HOME/bin directory and stop the Tomcat server by running one of the following commands:
- UNIX: shutdown.sh
- Windows: shutdown.bat
- Uninstall the dashboard files using the instructions for your Tomcat server usage:
- Environments using the Tomcat server included with the dashboard download: On the Tomcat server, delete the Tomcat directory and its contents, which include dashboard files.
- Environments using an existing Tomcat server: On the Tomcat server, navigate to the webapps directory and remove the the following:
- healthdashboard.war file
- healthdashboard directory and its contents
- You can restart the Tomcat server after removing the files. From the command line, cd to the AO_HOME/bin directory and start the Tomcat server by running one of the following commands:
- UNIX: startup.sh
- Windows: startup.bat
The dashboard version numbering changes in this release to match the current release version.
To install the Dashboard
- Navigate to and start the installation program for your operating system. See Performing the installation for the installation program names.
- On the splash screen, select the language in which to view the installation program, and click OK.
- On the Welcome to BMC Atrium Orchestrator panel, review the information and click Next.
- On the license agreement panel, select I agree to the terms of the license agreement and click Next.
- On the Installation Type panel, select Install new Orchestrator components and click Next.
- Using the Dashboard installation worksheet, enter the settings for the Dashboard component and click Next.
- Review the information on the Installation Choices Summary panel, and click Copy Text to Clipboard to copy the summary of the connection details for further use.
- Click Install.
- On the Installation Summary panel, perform one of the following actions:
- To exit the installation program, click Done.
- To review the BAO_install_log.txt file, click View Log, and then click Done to exit the installation program.
To verify the installation
Check that the dashboard service is running using the instructions in Verifying a peer installation.
Where to go from here
Configure your environment for the dashboards (see Configuring your environment to use BMC Atrium Orchestrator dashboards).
To use the Value dashboard and have access to historical data in the Health dashboard, you must turn on metrics collection for more information on metrics) and configure the connection to the external database. BMC Atrium Orchestrator must have access to the JDBC driver for the database that you are configuring. Configuring your environment to use BMC Atrium Orchestrator dashboards introduces this requirement and directs you to instructions.