Sending and receiving attachments
During an ongoing BMC Virtual Chat session, the support agent can send and receive files from the self-service user over the chat.
An agent can send URLs and files to the user from chat sessions or third-party applications.
To send files from an active chat session
Agents can send files to self-service users at any time during an active chat session.
- In the chat session window, click File xFer.
- In the Remedy Chat File Transfer dialog box, click Add.
- In the Add Attachment dialog box, browse to the file you want to attach and click OK.
- Select the file from the Remedy Chat File Transfer list.
Additional buttons appear at the bottom of the dialog box.
- Click Save. After you save the file, the self-service user can open the file from the Attachments section of the Self Service Portal.
(Optional) Use the buttons at the bottom of the dialog box to manipulate the files in the file transfer list.
The buttons to manipulate files in the file transfer list appear only after you select a file from the file name list.
To send URLs from an active chat session
An agent can suggest the self-service user to visit a particular website by providing URLs.
- In an active chat session, click URL.
The Open URL for Customer dialog box appears.
You can either send an existing URL or define a new URL.To send an existing URL
Select a URL from the list, then click Send and click Close.
You must click Close to complete the sending of the URL.To define and send a new URL
- In the Message box, type a message for the user.
- In the Link Label box, type the label name for the URL.
- In the URL box, type the actual URL address.
- In the Name box, type the descriptive name of the URL.
- Click Test URL to test that the URL is entered correctly.
- Click Save New.
To start other applications to share content
Agents use the Apps button or the Select Application menu to start other applications defined by the system administrator. The following pre-defined applications can also be started by clicking the respective buttons, if they are configured by the system administrator. BMC Virtual Chat includes the following predefined applications:
Invite—To invite another agent
- Relate Sessions to Major Incident—To relate a chat session to a major incident in BMC Remedy IT Service Management
- Report Potential Major Incident—To report a potential major system incident in BMC Remedy IT Service Management
- Send Email—To send information to a self-service user via email
- Set Chat as Abandon—To abandon a chat session when the self-service user has closed the session
The incident applications are available only if BMC Virtual Chat is integrated with BMC Remedy ITSM.
After a user transfers a file to the support agent, the agent is notified that the user has sent the file. The agent can view the transferred file from the chat session. The transferred file also becomes a part of the related incident record.
To receive attachments from the chat session
After the agent sees a message that a file is transferred by the user, the agent must perform the following steps:
- In the chat session, click File x'Fer.
- On the File Transfer dialog box that is displayed, select one of the available options:
To receive attachments from the Incident page
- In the right pane, on the Associated Data tab, click Incident.
- Click Open.
- In the right pane, on the Work Detail tab, select the attachment name that you want to view.
Click View Attachmentto download the attachment.
- Enabling agents to transfer files
- Configuring self-service user file uploads
- Chatting with users
- Defining applications for support agents