Requirements for installing on Microsoft Windows using the unified product installer
This topic describes the requirements for installing TrueSight Server Automation on Microsoft Windows platforms using the unified product installer.
The topic includes the following sections:
Pre-installation tasks for using the unified product installer
Before installing TrueSight Server Automation on Windows, ensure that you have performed the following tasks:
NEW IN 8.9.02Ensure that Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 is installed on the server. For more information, see Installing an RSCD agent (Windows).
As a prerequisite to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3 on Windows 2012 R2, you must have the following patches installed on your server:
- KB2919442 (Required for 2919355)
- KB2919355. This patch requires several other patches: clearcompressionflag.exe, KB2919355, KB2932046, KB2959977, KB2937592, KB2938439, and KB2934018. This are all available on the download page for KB2919355.
For more information about the prerequisites for Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3, refer to the Microsoft documentation here.
Ensure that you have set up a database for use by TrueSight Server Automation, as discussed in Setting up a SQL Server database and user for TrueSight Server Automation or Setting up an Oracle database for TrueSight Server Automation.
- Ensure that your connection to Microsoft SQL database is not encrypted. TrueSight Server Automation does not support using an encrypted Microsoft SQL database connection at the time of installation. However, after the product is installed successfully, TrueSight Server Automation can be configured to use an encrypted connection to communicate with the Microsoft SQL database. For steps on enabling and disabling an encrypted connection to your SQL database server, see Encrypting your database connection.
To know the default installation location of various TrueSight Server Automation components, see Default installation location for components.
- The TrueSight Server Automation Application Server installation program needs a certificate password to generate a self-signed X.509 certificate. Communication between TrueSight Server Automation and servers being provisioned and between the Application Server and the process spawner uses the Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocol and X.509 certificates. The password must be at least 6 characters. For more information about certificates and the TLS protocol, see Authentication.
- To add an exception for a TrueSight Server Automation installation program
- Open Control Panel.
- Double-click System.
- Select the Advanced tab.
- In the Performance pane, click Settings.
- Select the Data Execution Prevention tab.
- Click Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.
- Click Add.
- Select the installation program for which you want to add an exception. Then click Open.
- Click OK two times.
- Restart the computer.
Update the Windows Terminal Services Server Settings for temporary folders. (In Windows Server 2008 R2 and later versions, Terminal Services is renamed to Remote Desktop Services).Click here for steps about updating the Windows Terminal Services
To update the Windows Terminal Services (or Remote Desktop Services) configuration perform either of the following steps:
Server settings method
- On the computer where you are installing the TrueSight Server Automation Console, select Start > Run.
- For Open, enter gpedit.msc, and then click OK.
- Navigate to the Temporary folders policies:
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Remote Desktop Services >Remote Desktop Session Host > Temporary folders
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Terminal Services > Terminal Server > Temporary folders
- Set the Properties of Do not delete temp folder upon exit to Enabled and then click OK.
- Set the Properties of Do not use temporary folders per session to Enabled and then click OK.
- Restart the computer.
If the settings do not take effect, use the Registry Editor (regedit):
Registry editor method
- Click Start > Run and enter regedit.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server.
- Set the DeleteTempDirsOnExit and the PerSessionTempDir values to
- Restart the computer.
Note: The installation program uses temporary folders to preserve the install log. Usually, you can perform this update only one time; you do not need to update the configuration every time you install. However, if your Server Settings are different from those needed for installation, after you finish installing the console you can change the settings back to their previous settings.
Requirements for using the unified product installer
Ensure that your firewall allows communication on all ports used by various components of TrueSight Server Automation. For more information on ports, see TrueSight Server Automation ports.
|Separate file server|
If you plan to install a separate file server, ensure that you have performed the following prerequisite tasks:
The unified product installer needs to be run by a super user — root or a root-equivalent user on Linux. This enables the installer to install components on the Application Server and file server.
By default, the unified product installer configures the RSCD agent on the file server to map incoming connections to the Administrator or root user. The following mapping is added to the exports file:
This mapping allows any server (as Administrator) user, access to the file server. BMC recommends to use
Note: The initial account used for mapping incoming connections to the file server must be a local account. It cannot be a network or domain account.
If you do not want to map the connections to the Administrator user, you can manually modify the exports file to suit your needs. The exports file is located at the following path, TSSA<version_number>-<platform>\files\installers\other_files\maintenance_scripts.zip\windows\. For more information, see Configuring the exports file. Alternatively, you can manually install the RSCD agent on the separate file server, see Installing an RSCD agent (Windows).
|Software and hardware|
To turn UAC on or off
Limitations for using the unified product installer
The unified product installer does not support the following scenarios:
- 32-bit Windows or 32-bit Linux machines
Solaris SPARC machines
A heterogeneous environment where the Application Servers and PXE server are not all installed on the same operating system.
The unified product installer requires the database to be Oracle for Linux environments and SQL Server for Windows environments. In the case of Linux, you can use the Oracle Express database edition shipped with TrueSight Server Automation (for testing purposes) during the evaluation period for the express database edition. However, you must upgrade to Oracle Enterprise edition, after the evaluation period is over.