Organizing a patch catalog using smart groups
Smart groups organize and filter content within a patch catalog. You can use smart groups to include or exclude patches in Microsoft Windows Patching and Remediation Jobs.
To create a new smart group
- In the console's Folder view, right-click the patch catalog name and select New > Patch Catalog Smart Group.
- On the General panel:
- In the Name field, type a descriptive name for the smart group.
- (Optional) Provide a description in the Description field.
- Verify the path shown in the Member of field. If it is not the correct patch catalog, browse to the catalog for which you are defining this smart group.
Set the criteria for the smart group.
You can use either a
BULLETIN_IDas the filter criteria for patches. Be sure to select Hotfix in the property type drop-down list.
The following examples show two ways to define a smart group that includes all KB974945 patches. The first example uses the QNUMBER as the filter criterion, and the second uses the BULLETIN_ID as the filter criterion.
Using the QNUMBER as the Smart Group Criteria
Using the BULLETIN_ID as the Smart Group *Criteria
- Click Finish. (Accept the default settings on the remaining wizard pages.) The wizard creates the new smart group in the location specified in the Member of field.
- In the Folders view, double-click the new smart group name to view its contents.
The following example shows the results of the smart group defined previously in the second, using the
BULLETIN_IDto find all hotfixes for KB974945.