Creating an Agent Installer Job
An Agent Installer Job installs or upgrades agents on servers and specifies the following:
- The agent bundle on which the job is based.
- The target servers against which you want to run the job.
Running an Agent Installer Job installs or upgrades agents on target servers. You can run an Agent Installer Job in two different scenarios:
- During the process of adding or importing servers, you can specify that you want to install agents on these servers as part of the add/import.
- You can add/import servers to the system without installing agents. Then, at a later time, you can execute an Agent Installer Job to install agents on the servers.
For more information about these two scenarios, see Installing agents using the console. Alternatively, you can run the Unified Agent Installer, which guides you through the entire process needed to install agents, including creation of an Agent Installer Job. For more information, see Running the Unified Agent Installer.
If an Agent Installer Job fails to install an agent because it cannot determine the operating system of a target device, you must manually specify the device's operating system. For more information about that process, see Operating system detection and the AGENT_PLATFORM* property.
- If you have installed TrueSight Server Automation using the Unified Product Installer (UPI), agent installer jobs have already been pre-installed by the system at /Depot/BMC Maintenance/Agent Bundles/. You can choose to use these agent installer jobs for upgrading RSCD agent.
The agent installer for the Solaris platform requires additional configuration before first use. See Additional information for Solaris installation packages.
- Agent Installer Jobs have the following limitations:
- Can only install or upgrade agents running version 8.2 or later
- Cannot uninstall agents
Before you begin
Do the following:
- Set up remote host authentications. See Specifying or modifying information for remote host authentication.
- Set up remote host authentication rules. See Creating or modifying rules for remote host authentication.
- Create an agent bundle. See Creating an agent bundle.
- NEW IN 8.9.03Ensure that you must have Server Message Block (SMB) v2 enabled on a Windows server.
To create and run an Agent Installer Job, your role must be granted a variety of permissions.
Required permissions for creating an Agent Installer Job
To create Agent Installer Jobs, your role must be granted the following authorizations:
- JobFolder.Read on the folder where the job is stored
- JobFolder.Write on the folder where the job is stored
- AgentBundle.Read on the agent bundle referenced by the job
- DepotFolder.Read on the folder where the agent bundle is stored
Required permissions for executing an Agent Installer Job
To execute Agent Installer Jobs, your role must be granted the following authorizations:
- DepotFolder.Read on the folder where the agent bundle referenced by the job is stored
- DepotFolder.Read on the folders where agent installers are stored
- WindowsSoftware.Read, AIXSoftware.Read, LinuxSoftware.Read, or SolarisSoftware.Read, to access the appropriate agent installers
- AutomationPrincipal.Read, to access any automation principal referenced in the remote host authentication
- Server.Read on the PsExec server, if you are specifying a remote host authentication for Windows
- ServerGroup.Read on any server group selected as a target for the job
- Server.Read on any server selected as a target for the job
- Server.Modify on any server selected as a target for the job, either directly or through a group
- Server.AgentInstall on any server selected as a target for the job, either directly or through a group
- Server.PushACL on any server selected as a target for the job, either directly or through a group (assuming you have defined the job to push ACLs to the target)
- AgentInstallerJob.Read on the job to be executed
- AgentInstallerJob.Execute on the job to be executed
- AgentBundle.Read on the referenced agent bundle
To create an Agent Installer Job
- Perform any of the following actions:
- Open the Depot folder. Navigate to the agent bundle you want to use for this job. Right-click the bundle and select Install Agent.
- Open the Job folder and right-click the subfolder where you want to create the job. Select New > Agent Installer Job.
- Open the Servers folder and navigate to a server on which you want to install an agent. Right-click and select Install Agent.
- Open the Servers folder and navigate to folder or smart group containing servers on which you want to install agents. Right-click and select Install Agents.
- Select File > New > Other. The New window opens. Expand the TrueSight Server Automation Console node. Expand the Jobs node. Select Agent Installer Job and click Next.
- Define the Agent Installer Job, as described in the following sections:
- Click Finish after completing the last step of the wizard.