Changing the basic Application Server settings
This topic provides information about changing the initial configuration for a TrueSight Server Automation Application Server. It includes the following sections:
Where can I change Application Server settings?
You can use one of the following tools to change the configuration depending on the settings you plan to change:
You can use:
Initial (post--installation) configuration settings for the Application Server:
The Application Server Configuration wizard. For information, see Changing configuration settings using the Application Server Configuration wizard.
Most configuration settings or to set additional configuration parameters on an Application Server
The Application Server Administration console (
Attributes (configuration settings) specified in an Application Server profile (when there are multiple Application Servers on the same host)
The Infrastructure Management window. See Viewing and editing an Application Server profile.
TrueSight Server Automation Application Server Administration console (the Changing settings using the
blasadmin utility is a command line utility that lets you set parameters needed for an Application Server. These parameters define the location and behavior of the application, database, file, mail, and SNMP servers, the Authentication Service, and other components of an Application Server. The
blasadmin utility lets you configure all parameters, versus the subset you can configure with the Post-Install Configuration Wizard.
To configure the blasadmin utility
- Start the
blasadminutility. How you start this utility determines the Application Server configuration affected by the commands. See Starting the Application Server Administration console
- At the prompt, enter the commands. For information, see:
- Exit the
- Restart the Application Server to have your configuration settings take effect.
To enter just one or two commands, you can both run the
blasadmin utility and pass it a command at the same time. For example, you can change the location of a file server (on the default Application Server) by entering the following command
blasadmin set fileserver location /tmp/Storage.
To display a list of available blasadmin components and parameters
- (Optional) In a multiple Application Server environment, switch to the relevant application server deployment using the following blasadmin command:
- To display the list of components along with their descriptions, use the following command:
- To display the list of parameters and their descriptions for a specific component (after identifying the relevant component in the output of the previous step), use the following command:
For more information, see the following topics:
Changing settings using the Application Server Configuration wizard
To change configuration settings on an Application Server, you can use the Application Server Configuration wizard (blappconf). This wizard presents the same information as the Post-Installation Configuration wizard, except that it is in a tabbed format and shows current settings in text boxes. You can change the following settings:
- Database connection parameters
- File server name and storage location
- Notification servers - SMTP server and email address from which notification emails originate and SNMP server and port to which SNMP traps are sent
After super-user passwords are set in the Post-Installation Configuration wizard, you cannot use the Application Server Configuration wizard to change them. You must use the RBAC Administration tool.
Before you begin
For an Application Server of type NSH_Proxy, ensure that communication is not based on the ssoproxy (single sign-on) authentication protocol. In the secure file, check whether the following option appears. If it does, remove this option until after you finish using the Application Server Configuration wizard:
To start the Application Server Configuration wizard
To launch the wizard, use one of the following methods:
- From the Windows Start menu, select Programs > BMC Software > BladeLogic Server Automation Suite > Utilities > Application Server Configuration Wizard.
- From the directory where TrueSight Server Automation is installed, enter the following:
On a UNIX or Linux system, from the directory where TrueSight Server Automation is installed, enter the following:
To change the configuration of a specific Application Server when there are multiple Application Servers on the same host, enter the following:
\bin\blappconf -s <applicationServerName>
<applicationServerName>is the name of the Application Server you want to change.
blappconf -s JobServer1
If you specify:
blappconf -s, changes affect the specified deployment.
-soption, changes affect only the default deployment.
Application Servers created on the host in the future will not have the changes. To have changes affect future Application Servers, use this command to configure the template deployment:
blappconf -s _template
To change the configuration
- In the Application Server Configuration wizard, make any desired changes.
- Click OK.
- Restart the Application Server.