Upgrading from Track-It! 20.xx
The following upgrade paths are supported for Track-It! 2023 Release 02:
- 2023 Release 01 (RTM Build) to 2023 Release 02 (RTM Build)
- 2022 Release 01 (RTM Build) to 2023 Release 02 (RTM Build)
- 2021 Release 02 (RTM Build) to 2023 Release 02 (RTM Build)
The following figure illustrates the supported upgrade paths from earlier Track-It! releases to Track-It! 2023 Release 02:
Before you begin
We strongly recommend that you create a backup of the database of your current Track-It! release before upgrading.
We recommend that you configure backups to occur daily.
For more information, see . For more information about Microsoft SQL Server Database maintenance and related best practices, see .
- Make sure that no users are using the Track-It! application during the upgrade. The Track-It! application setup asks you to terminate any active user sessions.
- The existing BMC Client Management (BCM) instance is not upgraded when you upgrade Track-It!. If you need to update BCM, you can download the latest BCM update and install it on your BCM server by using the Electronic Product Distribution (EPD) facility. For more information, see .
To perform an upgrade
- As an administrator, log on to the system where you want to upgrade Track-It!.
- Based on the release you want to install, click one of the following options to download the installer file to a preferred location:
- Double-click the installer to extract the setup files.
By default, the extraction location is C:\Program Files (x86)\Track-It! <version number> Setup.
- On the Track-It! versionNumber Setup page, click Next.
- To start the upgrade, in the Track-It! dialog box, click Yes.
(2020 Release 03) When you upgrade to Track-It! 2020 Release 03, the following SQL log files are created by default:
These files are located at C:\Program Files (x86)\BMC\Track-It!\Logs.
- (Optional) Choose the language in which the earlier version of Track-It! was installed.
- On the Welcome to the setup wizard for Track-It! page, click Next.
- On the License Agreement page, click Yes.
- On the Select Components page, select the appropriate check boxes, and click Next:
- Select the Upgrade Application Server check box.
- By default, the Install BMC Client Management for Asset Management check box is selected.
If you do not want to install BMC Client Management, make sure that you clear the check box. If you have already installed BMC Client Management, the check box is disabled.
- Select the Upgrade a Track-It! database check box.
- (2021 Release 01) If the Install BMC Client Management for Asset Management check box is selected, perform one of the following actions on the Select License File page
- Upload a license file.
- Select the Use temporary license file check box to use a trial license that is valid for 30 days only.
- In the Password field, enter a password. Re-enter the same password in the Confirm field.
The password must contain at least eight characters. The password must not contain multibyte characters, spaces, and the following special characters:
- In Server field, enter your server name.
- In the Database field, enter your database name.
- To enable the server to dynamically select a port, select the Dynamically determine port check box.
- (Optional) Clear the Dynamically determine port check box, and in the Port Number field, enter a custom port value.
- Click Next.
- (Optional) If the setup determines any users are using the Track-It! application, to terminate the user session, click Yes.
- (Optional) If you created a backup set of your current database of Track-It!, click Yes.If the database information is not populated automatically, on the SQL Server Database Information page, perform the following actions:
- On the SQL Server Administrator Login page, enter the administrative login credentials for the database and click Next.
- On the Administrator User Information page, complete the fields and click Next.
On the Start Copying Files page, review your settings and click Next to start the upgrade process.
The upgrade process might take some time.
After you upgrade to the new release of Track-It! successfully, you must:
- Restart your server and clear the browser cache.
- If needed, apply the required licenses. For more information, see Applying a license file.