Creating and managing categories
Categories help to classify an organization's data. You must have system administrator permissions to configure the categories for your organization. You can create categories based on the type of support offered, symptoms of the issues, or ticket resolutions. When an assignment is created, it inherits the category of the linked ticket. However, based on the assignment requirement, users can select a different category for the assignment. Categories are useful to classify an issue or a service level agreement. You can also use categories to run reports.
Using Priority Hierarchy, you can set an order of precedence for the Category, Requestor, Location, and Department modules. Based on the priority hierarchy that is configured for a group, a record is assigned a priority. For more information, see Defining priority hierarchy.
The following video (10:17) provides information about categories in Track-It!:
While configuring categories, you can:
- Assign a default priority to a category, that auto-populates the value of the Priority field when a record is being created. However, while creating a record, users can select a different priority.
- Define a parent-child relationship for categories to segregate the data.
For example, you can create a category named Hardware and then create a child category named Printer. You can create additional child categories for Printer such as HP, Canon, Epson, and so on.
- Restrict requestors from accessing a certain category by using the Display in Self Service check box.
- Make a category unavailable to users by using the Mark as Inactive check box. Selecting this check box prevents user from creating a record by using a category that is marked as inactive. However, the existing references to that category are retained.
- Assign one or more support specialists for a category. A support specialist is a technician who is an expert in that area of work.
Track-It! provides the following out-of-the-box categories:
- Account Administration
- General Information
- Operating System
- Remote Connectivity
Based on your organization's business requirements, you can modify these categories or create new ones.
This section contains the following topics: