Setting up BMC Client Management
BMC Client Management (BCM) is advanced systems management software that provides a reliable way to discover, manage, and audit all assets on a network. To discover and manage assets in Track-It!, you must configure the BCM master server. You can choose to automatically install and configure BCM while installing Track-It!, or you can manually install and configure it after installing Track-It!. For more information about BCM, see .
Track-It! 2020 Release 01 supports BMC Client Management 12.8 only. BMC recommends that you do not use a newer version of BMC Client Management with this release of Track-It!. Using a newer version of BMC Client Management might cause portions of the system to stop working and can potentially result in complete loss of functionality in certain areas which might not be easily recoverable.
To establish a connection between Track-It! and BCM, ensure that the BCM master server is configured. To generate consolidated Track-It! reports that include both Track-It! and BCM details, ensure that the BCM database credentials are configured.
You must install Track-It! and BCM in the same time zone.
This topic contains the following information:
The following table describes BCM setup scenarios:
|The Track-It! installer automatically installs and configures BCM for the Track-It! environment when you install or upgrade Track-It!||See Installing in Standard mode.|
|Manual installation and out-of-the-box configuration of BCM|
Perform the following steps:
The following video (5:02) provides an overview of how to manually configure BCM in Track-It!.
Manually configuring BCM in Track-It!
If you install the BCM instance separately, you must manually configure the settings in Track-It!.
To use the Asset Management reporting capabilities, you must configure the database settings as follows:
- On the header bar, expand the hamburger menu and select Configuration.
- Click Asset Management.
- Click BMC Client Management Configuration.
In the Server Settings section, enter the following details:
Field Description Server Name Enter your BCM server name. HTTP Port Enter the HTTP port that connects to the BCM server. The default port number used is 1611. Use SSL Select this check box to establish a secure connection between Track-It! and BCM. User Name Enter the BCM administrator name. Password Enter the administrator password.
- (Optional) Click Test Connection to verify that the connection between BCM and Track-It! is established.
If you get errors, verify that the server details are correct.
(Optional) If you want to access and use the Asset Management reports, in the Database Settings section, enter the following details:
Enter your BCM server name. Database Name Enter your BCM database name. User Name Enter the BCM database user name. Password Enter the BCM database user password.
- (Optional) Click Test Connection to verify that connection between BCM and Track-It! database is established.
If you get errors, verify that the database details are correct.
- Click Save.
Enabling integration between Track-It! and BCM
You can enable integration between BCM and Track-It! by using one of the following options:
- (2020 Release 01) Enabling the integration using BCM Configuration XML file
- Enabling the integration using BCMOobXmlImport.exe utility
Enabling the integration using BCM Configuration XML file (2020 Release 01)
The BCM Configuration XML file is automatically imported to Track-It!. The timing of this import depends on whether you are running Track-It! for the first time after installation or a server reset.
Running Track-It! for the first time after installation or a server reset—Track-It! initializes the metadata. During initialization, Track-It! checks whether you are already registered for BCM. If you are not registered:
- Track-It! tries to import the BCM Configuration XML file.
- The login process flow remains the same regardless of whether the file import succeeds or fails.
- Track-It! does not issue a message to indicate that the import succeeded or failed.
When the BCM Configuration XML file is imported, the integration with BCM occurs automatically.
Enabling the integration using BCMOobXmlImport.exe utility
The BCMOobXmlImport.exe utility imports the out-of-the-box settings required to enable an integration between BCM and Track-It!.
Note the following important points:
- The BCMOobXmlImport.exe utility is included in the Tools folder with the other Track-It! utilities.
- This utility configures BCM that can be used with Track-It!.
- The BCMOobXmlImport.exe utility works by invoking a BCM API. You must ensure that the BCM REST API endpoints are up and running.
If the endpoints are not enabled, run the utility manually.
BCM does not support TLS 1.2 out-of-the-box. If you want to configure BCM with a TLS 1.2 enabled SQL Server, follow the guidance in Knowledge Article .
Run the BCMOobXmlImport.exe utility as follows:
- Click the Start button.
- In the search box, type cmd and then press Ctrl+Shift+Enter.
- To run the Windows command prompt as Administrator, click Yes.
- Navigate to the C:\Program Files (x86)\BMC\Track-It!\Tools folder and double-click the BcmOobXmlImport.exe file.
In the command prompt window, type
BcmOobXmlImport <bcm_server_hostname> <bcm_port>.
The default value of
bcm_portis 1611. This utility uses the administrator user to connect to the API by using the default password. If the administrator user password is changed, you must enter the updated password as the third parameter.
After you run the BCMOobXmlImport.exe utility, to verify that BCM is functioning correctly, navigate to https://<bcm_server_hostname>:1611/. The default installation for BCM uses https.
Where to go from here
After you set up BCM, configure the asset management module. For more information, see Configuring asset management.