Running the Migration Tool
This topic describes how to use the Migration Tool to migrate your data from Track-It! 11.4 to Track-It! 20xx.
Before you begin
The following considerations apply to the migration process:
- A backup file is created in the backup folder of the target SQL server (for example, C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Backup\Track-It!-dbName.bak).
- The Migration Tool displays a message if the database backup is not successful.
- The source and target information and the backup information are stored in log file named database_information.log.
- If there are errors during the migration, you can share the backup file created during the migration process with Track-It! Support for further rectification.
- We recommend that you take a backup of the BMC Client Management (BCM) database. This might help in case of errors while migrating assets from BCM.
To migrate data
- Run the Migration Tool.
To run the Migration Tool for the first time, perform step 4 of Installing the Migration Tool.
To run the Migration Tool after its first run, go to the folder where you have installed the Migration Tool and run the DatabaseMigration.exe file.
- On the Welcome screen, review all information about the migration process.
- Select I have read and understood all the information, instructions and limitations. check box, and then click Next.
On the credentials dialog box, specify the login credentials for the source (Track-It! 11.4) and the target (Track-It! 20xx) databases as follows:
The Migration Tool uses SQL accounts with System Admin privileges.
Login credential Source (Track-It! 11.4) database Target (Track-It! 20xx) database Authentication type From the menu, specify the Authentication Type for the source database. From the menu, specify the Authentication Type for the target database. SQL Server Name Specify the SQL Server Name for the source database. The format of the Server Name is serverName\instanceName. Specify the SQL Server Name for the target database. The format of the Server Name is serverName\instanceName. Database Name Specify the Database Name for the source database. Specify the Database Name for the target database. User Name Specify the User Name to use for accessing the SQL Server. Specify the User Name to use for accessing the SQL Server. Password Specify the password. Specify the password.
- For both the source and target login credentials, click Test Connection.
The Migration Tool tests the connection and displays a message indicating whether the test is successful.
The data configuration dialog box is displayed. The Generate configuration report check box is selected by default.
Select a data import option to migrate data.
For more information, see Data import options.
Click Start Migration.
The Migration Tool creates a backup of the target database at the configured backup location of the SQL Server. Each time you run the Migration Tool, a new backup file is created and replaces the previous backup file.
If there are errors during the migration process, contact for assistance.
Depending on the results of the migration, perform one of the following actions:
Result Action The migration is successful.
You must restart IIS on the target database. You can now use Track-It! 2020.
The migration fails.
- Click Click to open Log folder to check the log details.
- Correct the error, if possible. If needed, contact .
- Rerun the Migration Tool until migration is successful.
If you have to stop the migration:
Migration stops after completing the current task.
Correct the errors and rerun the Migration Tool.
If needed, select the appropriate option in the data configuration dialog box and perform subsequent migration as many times as necessary.
During each subsequent migration run:
- If you select either of the steps in Option 1:
- Only the new assets (that were created after the previous migration run) are migrated from Track-It! 11.4.
- Linkages of Asset, Asset Attachment, and Tracked Item that were previously migrated are recreated in Track-It! 2020.
- If you select Option 2, linkages of Asset, Asset Attachment, and Tracked Item that were previously migrated are recreated in Track-It! 2020.