Creating and managing activity codes
Activity codes enable you to view the actions that are performed on a record. In Track-It! you can use out-of-the-box activity codes or you can create custom codes to keep track of the actions performed on a record.
For example, a technician is working on a ticket, and contacts a requestor to get more information. The technician can use the activity code CONTACTED_USER for the note they add to the ticket. Using an activity code helps a supervisor or another team member to know about the actions that are taken on the record.
In Track-It! each note entry added by a technician to a ticket or an assignment must have an activity code. Activity codes help you classify the types of notes. You can also configure business rules to automate the actions taken on a record. You must have the system administrator permission to manage activity codes.
The following topics are provided:
Types of activity codes
Track-It! has the following type of activity codes:
- System activity codes are the automated action notes generated after an action is performed. The notes added with system activity codes are read-only and cannot be edited or deleted from the record history.
- User activity codes are the action notes that can be created by system administrators for their workflows in the organization. You can create new user activity codes, edit, or delete them. You can also edit or delete the ticket or assignment notes linked to the User activity codes.
Track-It! provides some out-of-the-box User activity codes as examples. Based on your organization's business requirements, you can edit or delete these out-of-the-box User activity codes. Each user activity code is unique and you cannot create two activity codes with the same name. However, the description of two or more activity codes can be the same.
Out-of-the-box activity codes
The following out-of-the-box activity codes are available:
Creating an activity code
- On the header bar, expand the hamburger menu and select Configuration.
- Click Lookups > Activity Codes.
- On the Activity Codes page, click New.
- In the New Activity Code dialog box, in the Activity Code field, enter an appropriate activity code name.
- In the Description field, enter description about the new activity code.
- To make this activity code available for ticket notes, select the Available in Ticket check box.
- (Optional) To make this activity code available for assignment notes, select the Available in Assignment check box.
(Optional) To track time since the last activity code was added to a ticket or an assignment in an active state, select the Track Time check box.
A technician can manually override the time tracked for the User activity codes using the Duration field in the Ticket Notes section of a Ticket form.View an example.
A technician adds activity codes ADDITIONAL_INFO and EMAIL_RECEIVED one after the other. If the Track Time check box for the ADDITIONAL_INFO activity code is selected, the time spent on the ticket when the ADDITIONAL_INFO activity code was implemented, is automatically tracked when the ticket is actively open. The calculated time is displayed in the Ticket Notes section on the Ticket form.
- (Optional) To restrict users from using this activity code, select the Mark as Inactive check box.
Editing or deleting an activity code
- Navigate to the Activity Codes page (hamburger menu > Configuration > Lookups > Activity Codes).
On the Activity Codes page, perform one of the following actions:
To edit the activity code
- Select the activity code that you want to modify and then click Edit .
- In the Activity Code: activityCodeName dialog box, edit the required fields.
- Click Save.
To delete the activity code
- Select the activity code that you want to delete and then click Delete .
- In the Delete Record dialog box, click Yes.