Integrating BMC ProactiveNet
BMC ProactiveNet 9.0.00 uses the BMC Atrium Single Sign-On authentication system to provide single sign-on and single sign-off. BMC Atrium Single Sign-On allows users to present credentials only once for authentication and subsequently be automatically authenticated by every BMC product that is integrated into the system.
Before you begin
BMC Atrium Single Sign-On must be installed and configured before installing BMC ProactiveNet.
- Ensure that the BMC ProactiveNet users and user groups are created in BMC Atrium Single Sign-On. See To define users and groups.
- Ensure that the BMC ProactiveNet users are assigned to groups. See To assign users to user groups.
Users, user groups and privileges defined in BMC Atrium Single Sign-On are used for BMC ProactiveNet group mapping.
The BMC ProactiveNet Single Sign-On feature can be integrated either during installation, or post-installation.
To integrate BMC ProactiveNet during installation
The BMC ProactiveNet Server installer prompts for information that must already be defined in BMC Atrium Single Sign-On.
- Select Single Sign-On (SSO) - Enable and configure
Provide the following information:
Atrium SSO Server Hostname Domain
Enter the fully qualified name of the BMC Atrium Single Sign-On server.
ProactiveNet Server Hostname Domain
Enter the fully qualified host name of the server where BMC ProactiveNet Server is installed. By default, this field is populated with the host name of the server on which the installer is executed.
Atrium SSO HTTPS Port
Enter the BMC Atrium Single Sign-On secure port number. The default port number is 8443.
Enter the BMC Atrium Single Sign-On Searcher ID used to search all user names and
Enter the password of the Searcher ID user.
Atrium SSO AmAdmin Password
Enter the BMC Atrium Single Sign-On server amAdmin password.
To integrate BMC ProactiveNet after installation
The BMC Atrium Single Sign-On feature can be configured post-installation in one of two ways:
- Using the Post Installation Configuration interface in the BMC Proactivenet Operations Console. For more information, see the BMC ProactiveNet User Guide.
- Using the
pw ssocommands. For more information, see the BMC ProactiveNet CLI Reference Guide.
Once BMC Atrium Single Sign-On is integrated, when you launch BMC ProactiveNet, the BMC Atrium SSO screen appears. Enter your user name and password and BMC ProactiveNet
- If you launch BMC ProactiveNet and try to log in as a user who is not associated with a
valid user group in BMC Atrium Single Sign-On, BMC ProactiveNet displays an error stating "Invalid username/password".
- If you receive a message that the BMC ProactiveNet Server has restarted, you must close the browser, then re-open the browser and log back in.
To define users and groups
To enable single sign on, you must first create BMC ProactiveNet users and user groups in BMC Atrium Single Sign-On. Users and user groups defined in BMC Atrium Single Sign-On are used for BMC ProactiveNet group mapping.
During installation of BMC ProactiveNet, the BMC ProactiveNet Server Installer prompts for information that must already be defined in BMC Atrium Single Sign-On. Therefore the minimum required definition in BMC Atrium Single Sign-On, before installing BMC ProactiveNet, is the following:
- Create a Searcher user and assign the BmcSearchAdmins group.
- Define the SSO amAdmin user and assign full access privileges. (The SSO amAdmin user is automatically created during installation of BMC Atrium Single Sign-On.)
- Create an Administrative user group and assign the BmcAdmins group.
To create new users
New users can only be created when you are using the internal LDAP server for authentication. If an external source is used for authentication, new users must be created within that external system.
- Sign onto BMC Atrium Single Sign-On.
Click Edit BMC Realm and select the Usertab.
When integrating a BMC ProactiveNet Server with an external system such as SSO or LDAP for authentication, ensure that the same user name does not exist in both the external system and the BMC ProactiveNet Server.
If the same user exists in both, user group associations defined in BMC ProactiveNet will be considered.
- Click Add.
- In the UserId field, enter a unique identifier for the new user. This value is used as the
user ID when the user logs in. If special characters, such as comma ( , ) , semi-colon ( ; ),
or plus sign ( + ) are used in the user ID, the backslash () must precede the special
character. For example, Baldwin\,bob.
- Enter the user's last name and full name.
- Enter an initial default password (which the user changes) and confirm this default
- In the Status field, verify that the Active radio button is selected (default).
- Click Save.
To assign users to user groups
- In BMC Atrium Single Sign-On, click Edit BmcRealm and select the Groups tab.
- Select the group name and click Edit.
- Select users from the Available Users list.
- Click Add.
Alternatively, you can add all of the users by clicking Add All.
An initial password must be provided when creating the account. Once created, the user can log into BMC Atrium Single Sign-On and update the password and their personal information through the following URL:
- Click Save to save the changes.
The membership change is immediately put into effect.
To clean up Web Agent entries when the BMC ProactiveNet Server is uninstalled
The following steps are required to delete Web Agent entries on the BMC Atrium Single Sign-On Server when the BMC ProactiveNet Server is uninstalled.
Any changes made to a BMC Atrium Single Sign-On user will not be reflected in an active BMC ProactiveNet session.
The user must log out and log back in for the changes to be in effect.
- On BMC Atrium Single Sign-On Console, click Edit BMC Realm.
- Click Agents Details.
A list of the Agents that are registered on the Single Sign-On server displays.
Identify the two Agents corresponding to your BMC ProactiveNet Server host.
Search for the following patterns:
/@<BMC ProactiveNet Server Host>:<Port> /admin@<BMC ProactiveNetServer Host>:<Port>
- Mark the Agents to delete by selecting their corresponding checkboxes.
- Click Delete.