Installing or upgrading BMC Remedy Mid Tier
You must install the BMC Remedy Mid Tier to version 8.1 as part of the BMC Single Sign-On configuration.
When you are installing BMC Remedy AR System, BMC recommends:
- To avoid configuration problems, accept the default values displayed in the installer unless you have a valid reason to modify them.
- To reduce installation time significantly, do not install the products over the wide area network (WAN).
- Install BMC Remedy Mid Tier on a separate computer from the AR System server.
- Do not install BMC Atrium Single Sign-on and BMC Remedy Mid-Tier on the same computer. BMC Atrium Single Sign-on and BMC Remedy Mid-Tier must use different Tomcat instances because if the mid-tier computer needs to be restarted, all the other applications will be unavailable because BMC Atrium Single Sign-on will be down during the restart.
- Install the BMC Single Sign-On server.
- Prepare to run the AR System installer for your operating system.
For example, you must update Terminal Services configuration options and configure the DEP feature if you are using Windows. For more information, see Preparing the Windows environment.
- Install the 32-bit or 64-bit JRE and JDK 1.6.0_23 or higher.
- Set the JAVA_HOME and JRE_HOME environment variables.
- For Solaris, JDK7 has a different folder structure than JDK6. For example, set the JDK7 JAVA_HOME to /data1/software/jdk1.7.0_05/bin/sparcv9/.
- Review the planning worksheet for AR System installations.
- Download the AR System installer, or navigate to the installation directory on the CD.
- Unzip the suite installer (ARSuiteKitWindows.zip).
- Navigate to the Disk 1 folder.
- Start the installer.
- For Windows, run setup.cmd.
- For UNIX, log in as root and run setup.sh.
- In the lower right corner of the Welcome panel, click Next.
- Review the license agreement, click I agree to the terms of license agreement, and then click Next.
- On the Products selection panel, perform the following actions:
- Select Install.
- Select AR System Mid-Tier.
- Navigate to the directory in which you want to install the BMC Remedy AR System application.
The default location is C:\Program Files\BMC Software\ARSystem.
- Click Next.
The installer validates the system resources of your computer and displays a list of available features.
- In the AR System Server List panel, perform the following actions:
- Enter the fully-qualified domain names of the AR System servers.
- Enter the remaining values:
- Click Next.
- Enter the values from the planning worksheets for the features that you want to install.
After you have entered the required information, the installer validates your input, and then the Installation Preview panel appears, listing the product and product features that will be installed.
Run Sanity Check is selected by default. BMC recommends that you run the additional validation tests of your installation.
- Click Next.
The installer installs the AR System features you have selected. After post-installation cleanup, a summary of the installation appears.
- Click View Log to review the SEVERE error messages or warnings in the product installer log.
See whether errors are due to network, host, or other environment-related issues. You can view a log file of the installation:
- Close the log when you finish.
- Click Done to exit the AR System installer.
Where to go from here
For detailed information on installing the AR System, see: