Viewing truncated data in a work order
When viewing a work order, you sometimes see that the data pushed from a field in the service request to the work order was truncated, indicated by ellipses (...).
When BMC Service Request Management data is truncated in other fulfillment applications, for example, within a change request, you also see an ellipses (...).
If the application is properly configured, truncation of data is a fallback mechanism in the fulfillment application that enables the creation of the entry even when the field length in the service request is too long. Otherwise, CAI errors appear when the application failed to create the entry. You can still view the complete data, even though it does not appear in the work order.
To view truncated data from a service request
- From the IT Home Page, choose Service Request Management > Search Work Order, and click Search.
- Select the work order and choose Functions > View REQ<number>.
- In the Request Details dialog box, click the Activity Log tab.
TRUNCATE WARNINGmessage appears in Notes. You see this message because the field length value in the service request did not fall within the limits specified for the field and was truncated in the fulfillment application (here, the Work Order Management application). The entry was successfully created; however, some data was not pushed to the fulfillment application.
- Scroll through Notes to view the complete data.
- If needed, add a note or an attachment.